Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knee lift - anyone use it?

I have a knee presser foot lift with each of my machines but I've never tried using them - not sure why, just haven't. Do you use them? Like them?
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Knee lift - anyone use it?

Yes!! I love mine on my Janome. It took a little time to get use to it, but I miss it dearly, if I have to use my machine not in the cabinet. My hubby had to fit my cabinet to work, but it was so worth it! It seems less awkward then to reach behind to lift.

4. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I only use the knee lift when I am doing machine applique. It comes in pretty handy then
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My answer is yes, I use, as Denise does. When I do machine applique it is invaluable.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My vintage Singer has a knee lift no foot pedal. I like it but have to be conscious of getting my leg out of the way in between sewing rows or pieces together bc more than once my machine started sewing by itself, well not really but I had inadvertently had my leg against the knee lift and it doesn't take much pressure to make your machine start galloping away when you least suspect it. I showed my 7 yo gd how to sew a simple straight seam. she can easily use the knee lift but her legs aren't long enough to reach a foot pedal on the floor.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had a knee lift on my industrial machines and loved it. My domestic machines unfortunately don't have it.
    I have never used a machine with a knee style foot pedal but it might be nice to have.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use it all the time. Wish I had one on my travel machine.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I remember those vintage machines! I learned to sew on a machine in a cabinet where you used your knee instead of a foot pedal. But that's different than a knee lift. The presser foot on my Bernina 790 can be programmed to hover, which is wonderful for piecing patchwork. I recently purchased a Bernina 435. It does not have the hover feature, so I am training myself to use the knee lift. It's still a bit awkward, as I feel as though the knee pedal is too far to the right of where I want it to be. I can see where it would be very helpful when doing machine appliqué.

I was once given an Elna that drove me crazy. The lever to raise the presser foot was in the harp, rather than on the back of the machine. I am left handed, and had to go through a bunch of contortions to reach the lever.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    My vintage Singer has a knee lift no foot pedal. I like it but have to be conscious of getting my leg out of the way in between sewing rows or pieces together bc more than once my machine started sewing by itself, well not really but I had inadvertently had my leg against the knee lift and it doesn't take much pressure to make your machine start galloping away when you least suspect it. I showed my 7 yo gd how to sew a simple straight seam. she can easily use the knee lift but her legs aren't long enough to reach a foot pedal on the floor.
    That's how I learned to sew! Adjusting to a foot pedal had a learning curve! I'm hesitant to use my knee lift because I think I'd revert to expecting the knee lever to make the machine start sewing.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So many of my machines have/had the knee lift. If I can get it out of my muscle memory ( from my days of yore when my machines had a knee throttle!), I like using it for work where you lift and turn a lot. Mine is in a sort of awkward place in my cabinet, so I find my knee resting on it, lifting the pressed foot slightly when I'm trying to sew. Of course, this relieves the tension on the thread, making icky stitches! So my brain has to work overtime when using the knee lift.