• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OHDeb
    Shiny Thimble
    • Oct 2015

question about cutting mats

Just wondering what cutting mat Jenny is using in the around the world half triangle quilt tutorial. Just looking for a good one and I liked the size of the one she used. what one do you use?
    Last edited by OHDeb; June 24, 2019, 09:26 AM.
  • Claire Hallman
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Re: question about cutting mats

I actually have three, one that is about 24x36, one about 14x24 and one about 4x6 and I use them all for various things. I also use a rotating mat at times.
    Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• amartin24
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2014

The one she is using appears to be one that Joann's used to sell. I currently have two Fiskars ones - 36" x 24" and 18" x 24". When I finally move my pc off the cutting table, I would like to get one even larger to cover the table. I used to have an Olfa one and personally I think I like them better than Fiskars. Fiskars seem to be a bit slippery.
      I am Sew Blessed!
      Alina

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

If you want a good investment, try Martelli mats. They are expensive but are two sided, never warp, and make cutting so much easier. I bought one for my daughter, after using a Fiskers mat, she was thrilled at how much easier cutting was on the Martelli. They are pricey, but go on sale periodically throughout the year.

Comment

• JCY
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2013

I have an Olfa cutting mat.

Comment

• KPH
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2015

I have a Olaf and the Martelli spinning mat that has the ironing pad. Haven't used that part, but it was part of the set on sale.
            Katrina
            From NC, retired in FL
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• GuitarGramma
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2012

I have Olfa and Martelli. I once owned a Fiskars, but I gave it away. I would rank them, from best to worst, Martelli, Olfa, Fiskars, with a huge gap in quality between each. I also have an Altos cutting system, which is my go to for "mass quantity repetitive" cutting. There's simply nothing faster when you need 100 of the same size piece.

I do want to mention that the Martelli cutting mat is a different surface from their rotary cutting mat. I can tell that the rotary may will need to be replaced on a somewhat regular basis. Fortunately, you can buy just the top. For example, I bought just the top and the rotating base. I never bought the ironing surface.
              Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Caroline T.
                Missouri Star
                • Jun 2016

The one in the video is a Grace Company "TrueCut" cutting mat:

Quality Sewing & Vacuum Centers has been committed to your sewing and vacuum needs since 1985. You can find the best products with excellent customer service here.

I've had several Olfa's over the years and found that for the low price they held up well if they aren't being heavily used. But now that I'm making about a dozen (or more) quilts a year, my Olfa was getting worn out much quicker. I have since purchased a Martelli about a year ago, and am very happy with it. It is pricier, but it's also double sided, thicker, and has no signs of wear and tear in it yet.

Comment

• bubba
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2013

The Martelli 50% sale should be coming up soon. I believe I bought my mat during July just over five years ago.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
                    Missouri Star
                    • Mar 2012

I love my Olfa mat. I've had it for years and I use it lots and it's great!

Comment

Working...
                    X