• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HandsomeRyan
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2013

Scissors for small hands?

As I have started working on sewing stuff with my kids (5 and 3) I notice that both of them have difficulty using my adult-sized sewing scissors to cut fabric. I have a few variations on embroidery scissors which fit their hands a little better but are unbelievably sharp pointed and the risk of fabric damage or accidental stabbing is very high. The "kid scissors" you can buy at the store are great ergonomically and have blunt points but are generally not adequate for cutting fabric in my experience. The little ones are not ready for rotary cutting yet so we are limited to "cut along this chalk line with scissors" for the time being.

Does anyone have recommendations on a small size but not sharp pointed scissors which are capable of cutting fabric? I've been happy with my Kai, Gingher, and Fisker scissors so I'm open to any brand as long as the ergonomics will work for small hands and they aren't sharp pointed. Cheaper is probably better as kids tend to eventually destroy things.

Suggestions?
    Loosely based on a true story.
  • digull
    Beginning Stitcher
    • May 2014

Re: Scissors for small hands?

Googled kids sewing scissors and found--- Fiskars beginning sewing scissors- -7 inches that might work for you. Can be found at Amazon.
    Kudos for starting your children in this great pass time early.

Comment

• HandsomeRyan
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2013

Thanks. I looked at those but was concerned that 7" might still be big for a young child.
      I ended up ordering a pair of 5" Fiskars RazorEdge Softgrip because they were small for little hands and didn't look too pointy.
      Loosely based on a true story.

Comment

• cjsews
        The Guild President
        • Jun 2016

I have an Eberlecrafts scissor with a soft grip handle. Is does not have pointed tip and the holes are small. Easy for a smaller hand to use. Sorry I could not download a pic

Comment

• bubba
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2013

Check Kai scissors. I have both the five inch and six inch size and I think either would work.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• GuitarGramma
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2012

I use a pair of Fiskars school scissors for jobs where I can't risk pointy scissors. They're easiest to find in September when school supplies are being promoted.
            Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
            X