Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Make an "Easy Clamshell" Quilt with Jenny Doan

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Make an "Easy Clamshell" Quilt with Jenny Doan

For some reason it is unavailable. I guess a glitch somewhere. Now I'll have to drink another cup of coffee when it gets back on. Thanks!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty, but I don't think I would make it, just yet. I am working on Bird Song using the Quick Curve Ruler, and while sewing the curves is doable, it is challenging to sew. I'm certain that by the time I am done, it will be easy peasy.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great and after making a drunkard's path king size quilt sewing the curves is not all that hard. For those of you with the Go machine there is a drunkerd's path cutter that works very well and makes the curves easy peasy.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice but I will not be making this one. Don't need anymore rulers.

7. Thanks Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I like that there's so little waste to this method. The end result is so pretty! I want to make this one eventually (especially if the template is ever a DD).

If you wanted to make this with prints, you would need to take some extra care with how you align the template with the direction of the fabric print. This must be why they chose batiks for the tutorial video.

I've wanted to sew a clamshell quilt for a little while, and it seems like you can either make it with drunkard's path blocks like Jenny's or with a whole clamshell shape like this one. Latifah Saafir has YouTube demonstration of how her method works. It's fewer seams than Jenny's, but you're adding each row of clamshells to the quilt top as you go, from top to bottom.

Saafir's template makes it easier to fussycut large prints, and the larger templates mean easier-to-sew curves. Jenny's template lets you use precuts. I'm not sure which method I'll go with...I've done drunkard's path blocks before, but the process doesn't "flow" like straight chain piecing for me. So it's not a quilt I'm in a big rush to make.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
    I like that there's so little waste to this method. The end result is so pretty! I want to make this one eventually (especially if the template is ever a DD).

If you wanted to make this with prints, you would need to take some extra care with how you align the template with the direction of the fabric print. This must be why they chose batiks for the tutorial video.

I've wanted to sew a clamshell quilt for a little while, and it seems like you can either make it with drunkard's path blocks like Jenny's or with a whole clamshell shape like this one. Latifah Saafir has YouTube demonstration of how her method works. It's fewer seams than Jenny's, but you're adding each row of clamshells to the quilt top as you go, from top to bottom.

Saafir's template makes it easier to fussycut large prints, and the larger templates mean easier-to-sew curves. Jenny's template lets you use precuts. I'm not sure which method I'll go with...I've done drunkard's path blocks before, but the process doesn't "flow" like straight chain piecing for me. So it's not a quilt I'm in a big rush to make.
    I love her tutorial. She's quite a good instructor. Thanks for sharing.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have been scared of curves, but this is second quilt I liked with that template, so I bought it! Another skill to conquer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This one doesn't interest me at all. For those who haven't watched it, it should be available on the daily blog.