Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Good use of donated fabrics

ktdid,
    Ugly prints are fine as long as it is 100% cotton, it works!!! We try to place a solid outer layer of flannel so that anything not appropriate gets covered. There are 5 layers per pad. The women don't understand cartoons or some holiday/seasonal things so the top layer is usually a solid. We would love a donation!! We try to send 100-150 kits every 3 months (which is 800-1200 pads). Right now, there's a group of 5 ladies who are footing the bill and doing all of the sewing. We will take any donations Message me for my address!!
    Thank you

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB563B83-23DB-4530-A04E-5A01F8E47E6C.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	159658

Here’s a picture of the ladies receiving their purple bag hygiene kit and some training on how to use and care for them.
    <3

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

We packaged 160 kits for the June trip. I’ll try to post some more pictures. Our next trip is September. A few of you have reached out to me and donated fabric. I want you to know what a blessing your gifts have been! Fabric that was once in a shelf will be turned into a precious gift they will last 2-3 years and will be life changing for young ladies and women!
    there’s a whole lot of kindness in the world, especially amongst our quilting friends
    Lisa

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I sent you a message
    Debbie

5. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Ladies, I just received a text today from my pastor’s wife and some pictures from the current team in Zambia. The girls and ladies are thrilled to receive The hygiene kits! We even got a message from one of the principals at the Sikalamba School. The girls are sharing kits because the need is so great! Wish I could personally hug each of you that have sent fabric! We have already started working on the next batch of kits for these precious girls and women, so if you have any pieces of woven cotton, flannel,
    Fleece or quilt batting just taking up space, I can put it to good use You’ll notice in one of the pictures that a lady from our church is teaching a little lesson on using and caring for the pads and liners for a group of young ladies.
    Lisa

Name:	00FE2818-9641-42AA-8740-F95BC439A94C.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	159785

Name:	0D645705-E916-4F8E-8FA5-7816A9F1DDF1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	159784

Name:	AA8CFF30-7801-4AC6-95A7-88809ECBDCF6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	159786

Name:	73B2C441-1120-4915-8D3E-170B7155973B.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	159787

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Some of you have asked me about specific needs:

100% woven cotton at least 3.5” x 9”. Any solid, geometric prints are fine. Batiks are fine. No cartoon prints or solid white. This fabric is on the outside of the pad.
    100% cotton flannel at least 3.5” x 9”. Any prints will work because these are hidden inside the pad.
    Quilt batting at least 3.5” x 9”.
    Fleece at least 3.5” x 9”. Any print or color is fine.
    Terry cloth at least 3.5” x 9” in any color.

The waterproof liner that holds the pad in place is made from PUL fabric. 1/4 yard minimum pieces are required. PUL can be found at Walmart, Joann’s or ordered online.
    Thread, both serger and regular thread (poly cotton blend) are needed
    Gallon size ziplock storage bags. Each kit gets 2. They hold the clean and dirty pads.
    Washcloths. Each woman gets 2.

The flannel, quilt batting, fleece or terry cloth form the inner layers of the absorbing pads. So color and print for them doesn’t matter. We typically use 5 layers for the entire pad in this order: cotton, flannel, fleece (or quilt batting or terry cloth), flannel and cotton. The 100% cotton outer layers wick away moisture from the skin. The inner layers absorb and hold liquid.

If you want to send your extra pieces of fabrics just PM me and I’ll send my address. We shopped for PUL fabric the other day because I have received a good amount of cotton and flannel donations to start cutting. Because we are all purchasing the fabrics out of our own pocket, we get some fabric, work on them, get some more fabric next payday etc. there are 5 volunteers in our group and it costs each of us $300+ for each trip. Each kit costs approximately $10 each. We make approximately 150 for each trip and our church goes 4 times a year. This current trip we sewed 160 kits! The need is huge our church is going again in September. We have built a medical clinic in the Gwembe Valley in Zambia. We have also dug a well there and the church is currently fundraising to have electricity lines brought there. We currently use generators at the clinic which gets the job done but they are troublesome to use. The governor of this area in Zambia actually visited our church at the end of May to express their country’s gratitude for what we have done to help the people there and he specifically mentioned the hygiene kits! It is a very poor country. He was a very humble man.

So, your stash of scraps or extra pieces of fabric are really making a difference for these young ladies!!!
    Lisa
    Last edited by Ltoppins; July 5th, 2019 at 10:02 AM.

8. Thanks auntiemern thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information.
    Blessings kathy

10. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information. I received a large donation of fabric that I will never be able to use up. So as soon as I get your address I will start shipping some to you. I got some pieces that were over 5 yards
    Debbie

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Well, our team just returned from Zambia and I have more pictures! I just wanted to share for those of you who so generously sent fabric. I know you donated fabric in order to bless women who desperately need feminine hygiene products. Can you imagine how excited they are to receive a purple bag with such wonderful supplies? They send their gratitude and joy to you! Enjoy the pictures! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2813.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	160500

Name:	IMG_2814.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	160501

Name:	IMG_2815.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	160502

Name:	IMG_2816.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	160503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2817.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	160499

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your pads are a lot different than the ones we do. I sat and did 21 of them one afternoon last week. Be doing more this week.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!