• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mamaquilt
    Missouri Star
    • Dec 2010

price of 3 rulers

I received my 3 rulers from MSQC yesterday. Here is what those rulers cost me in the end.

1 ruler $19.99
    2 ruler $12.45
    3 ruler $11.45
    shipping $22.00
    taxes $ 7.56
    agency fees $16.92

total $90.37

DH is right. I better use whatever ruler I have and take more time squaring up my blocks. I could have used that money to buy more fabric locally. What can I do about my points earned? Pay another $ + / - 50.00 on shipping and handling??????

It's so frustating.
    sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle
  • MHG Winnower
    Missouri Star
    • Nov 2015

Re: price of 3 rulers

Ouch!!! I posted this video before - has some great sewing hacks, one particularly for an inexpensive way to create your own block lock ruler. She mentions masking tape, but that's the term in Canada for painters tape here in the states. Don't use masking tape, it would be difficult to remove. I've tried this particular hack and can tell you it works like a dream for squaring up blocks. https://www.google.com/search?client...e+sewing+hacks
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• Granny Fran
      Missouri Star
      • Apr 2014

I have found that of all the rulers I have collected, I only use about the same 3 or 4. The price of rulers has become ridiculously out of line. I feel your pain. Between shipping and fees you are really priced out of the market.
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

• Bubby
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

That's so unfortunate, Michele. I feel for all of you who have to pay so much for shipping and high prices for fabric.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• auntstuff
          Missouri Star
          • Nov 2017

Many of us have quilted for years without all the expensive gadgets. It works just fine. And yes, more money for fabric.
          She who dies with the most quilts is......
          Still dead.
          What's your hurry?

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Missouri Star
            • Aug 2015

I feel for you. I usually only pay the tax and I try to get deals when shipping to Canada is $5. I keep my orders under a certain amount so I don't pay customs. There certainly has to be better buying options. I guess if you ever went to Missouri you can use your 1Quilter's cash in the stores.
            Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• minipinlady
              Missouri Star
              • Dec 2018

What insane prices for pieces of acrylic to be sent to you. I live in Canada and rulers here cost triple if not more , than American prices. Even with shipping, and the god awful wait ( one month for FedEx from MSQC ) it is still cheaper to order online than buy a ruler here . Joanne's won't ship to Canada and even if they did, they rarely have what they advertise. Nancy's has a large selection of rulers and templates, tho' their shipping is 50% more than MSQC, the packages arrive 4 days later, a week max. Tho I dearly love MSQC and unless they do not have what I am looking for , I always order from them.
              The price of a ruler is going beyond reasonable. I still have some rulers I have not used yet. Others I use a great deal. The MSQC half hexys are amazing. That was worth every penny and I ordered back when they had a much better shipping system. We don't pay as much for shipping from MSQC , in fact it is cheaper than any other company for Canada, however the month long wait is what hurts us most. I won't be ordering as much in future from them because of the frustrating wait. The tracking is insulting, it says it is in Newark NJ for a month, no indicated delivery date at all or when it clears customs, nothing but stuck in NJ. Even after I receive the package it says it is still in NJ, lol. When I tried talking to FedEx, some smart ass kept repeating back what I had just said them, and in the end I gave up talking to FedEx. Here the delivery is throw the package at your door and try not to get out of their truck, so I am left to always worry and wait as to when it MIGHT BE delivered. I hate watching my door for a guessed delivery. Anything left outside rather than knocking at my door to give it to me is very likely a temptation to someone to take it, and that's a waste of my money and time.
              I used to tell everyone I met, that MSQC was the best to order from for Canadians but after the last 4 packages taking a month, I stopped saying it. I love their products and the truth is Jenny is MSQC for me. If she was not MSQC, I doubt I would order anything again =( "Choice man words" for FedEx ruining the MSQC experience. My aunt says it is better than Christmas and all holidays rolled into one, to get a package from MSQC...the good old days.

Comment

• auntstuff
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2017

Fedex is just about THE worst delivery service on the planet, and they appear to LOVE proving it.
                She who dies with the most quilts is......
                Still dead.
                What's your hurry?

Comment

• KPH
                  Missouri Star
                  • Feb 2015

It struck me as strange, Let's Make Art uses Fex Ex and USPS and my package was here in less than a week (4 days in fact). Go figure. Anyway, I'll pay the extra $2 for the quicker shipping.
                  Katrina
                  From NC, retired in FL
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Trudy A
                    Designer Diva
                    • Apr 2019

Originally posted by auntstuff View Post
                    Fedex is just about THE worst delivery service on the planet, and they appear to LOVE proving it.
                    I agree. I ordered from M* 2 days ago-something I needed/wanted to make a Secret Santa gift and could not find it locally. This morning the order status says shipped, that was quick thanks M*, now I sit and wait for Fed-Ex to start moving the package.
                    One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Nesie
                      UN-Biased
                      • Feb 2018

What's an "agency" fee?

Comment

• mamaquilt
                        Missouri Star
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                        It struck me as strange, Let's Make Art uses Fex Ex and USPS and my package was here in less than a week (4 days in fact). Go figure. Anyway, I'll pay the extra $2 for the quicker shipping.
                        I don't mind the delivery time. I ordered May 22 nd and the rulers arrived the 13th. I live in Luxembourg, so that is ok with me. I just rant about the total cost of shipping, handling as well as taxes.

Michèle

Comment

• mamaquilt
                          Missouri Star
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nesie View Post
                          What's an "agency" fee?
                          that is a fee I have to pay to get my package thru custom. I live in the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

• grammaterry
                            Missouri Star
                            • Dec 2015

Maybe yu know someone in the states that sews and you could buy a gift certificate with your points that they could use.
                            success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                            Terry of NC

Comment

• Auntie Uli
                              Designer Diva
                              • May 2015

Have you ever tried to order in the UK ? Shipping is less and their is no custom fee .... well as long as they hasn’t left the EU. Unfortunately nobody knows what will happen after the brexit. But you can still get almost any ruler at Creative Grits UK.
                              Sorry MSQC but as we have to pay twice as much for fabric we have to save money wherever possible;-)
                              Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Comment

Working...
                              X