Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Make a "Road Trip" Map Applique Quilt with Jenny Doan

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Star lover thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Make a "Road Trip" Map Applique Quilt with Jenny Doan

This is a cool quilt, but...since the state templates are NOT provide in the tutorial, and you want to make the pattern blocks, you will be forced to purchase the pattern for $19.95? Although, you can probably find state templates, adjust the sizing and reverse the pics to create your own templates from sites like Pinterest. This is probably a quilt I won't be making?
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea, can see me making, not with the states but with farm animals or butterflies.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shermur View Post
    This is a cool quilt, but...since the state templates are NOT provide in the tutorial, and you want to make the pattern blocks, you will be forced to purchase the pattern for $19.95? Although, you can probably find state templates, adjust the sizing and reverse the pics to create your own templates from sites like Pinterest. This is probably a quilt I won't be making?
    Sherri....You just need one state template...Missouri!!

6. Thanks shermur thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love the Murmur fabric line and may buy it for a different project. I was on the fence about making the quilt and when I saw the price of the pattern I decided not to make it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like this quilt but will be awhile. It really is not difficult to googld State outlines and print out

9. Thanks MSN, sydneybean thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like this wasn't a good choice for a tutorial quilt. It's a beautiful quilt and would make a great kit. I'm not sure how to describe why, but it's like "Look at this cool quilt you can make...only if you buy our $20 pattern." Okay, I get that the whole point is to sell fabric and templates and so on. It just breaks the precedent set by most of their tutorials to date that you didn't really need to buy the pattern to recreate the quilt. The patterns were nice to have for reference, but you could still do a little math to figure out what you needed to do. I guess you get to learn about machine appliqueing complex shapes.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. It's nicer when we can use the stuff we have , or order stuff that can be used for several projects. I realize they have done so many tutorials ,that there are limits to how many good ones can be done. The last 2 tutorials didn't inspire me to want to make one. That said , the Granny Squares just caught me up, so I would think it is a case of trying to appeal to a lot of varied people. Some tutorials inspire, some don't. I find some of the earliest tutorials are treasures. MSQC seems to be trying hard to appeal to a large number of people and their efforts are smart. They have missy to talk to the younger generations who rarely look up from their phones, and they have Jenny who talks to our generation well. Smart marketing. I wouldn't waste $20 on the pattern, but then I am still not impressed with their use of FedEx to Canada ( useless ) . I think FedEx will cost them customers, and put a dent in their excellent reputation. One can hope they divorce themselves from FedEx. A month stuck in one spot is stupid, in this day and age. We can always hope they open a franchise in Canada .Ha ha or return to Pony Express.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

13. Thanks MSN, sydneybean, The_Last_Unicorn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I dont mind the different range of tutorials. There are so many she has done we can all most likely find plenty to make. This way she gets to everyone. You never know when one of the different type tutes will catch your interest.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

15. Thanks dwil23, Old Newbie, sydneybean thanked for this post