• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swedish leo
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2012

Make a "Road Trip" Map Applique Quilt with Jenny Doan

Jenny demonstrates how to make a beautiful applique map quilt of some of her favorite states. This quilt is made with one solid pack and one print pack of 10...

Enjoy !
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.
  • shermur
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2013

Re: Make a "Road Trip" Map Applique Quilt with Jenny Doan

This is a cool quilt, but...since the state templates are NOT provide in the tutorial, and you want to make the pattern blocks, you will be forced to purchase the pattern for $19.95? Although, you can probably find state templates, adjust the sizing and reverse the pics to create your own templates from sites like Pinterest. This is probably a quilt I won't be making?
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• Trudy A
      Designer Diva
      • Apr 2019

I like the idea, can see me making, not with the states but with farm animals or butterflies.
      One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• Bubby
        Missouri Star
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by shermur View Post
        This is a cool quilt, but...since the state templates are NOT provide in the tutorial, and you want to make the pattern blocks, you will be forced to purchase the pattern for $19.95? Although, you can probably find state templates, adjust the sizing and reverse the pics to create your own templates from sites like Pinterest. This is probably a quilt I won't be making?
        Sherri....You just need one state template...Missouri!!
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Bubby
          Missouri Star
          • Jun 2011

I love the Murmur fabric line and may buy it for a different project. I was on the fence about making the quilt and when I saw the price of the pattern I decided not to make it.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• wlrquilts
            Missouri Star
            • Jun 2012

I like this quilt but will be awhile. It really is not difficult to googld State outlines and print out
            Wendy
            http://www.pinterest.com/wlrich2/boards/

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
              Batting Beauty
              • May 2016

I feel like this wasn't a good choice for a tutorial quilt. It's a beautiful quilt and would make a great kit. I'm not sure how to describe why, but it's like "Look at this cool quilt you can make...only if you buy our $20 pattern." Okay, I get that the whole point is to sell fabric and templates and so on. It just breaks the precedent set by most of their tutorials to date that you didn't really need to buy the pattern to recreate the quilt. The patterns were nice to have for reference, but you could still do a little math to figure out what you needed to do. I guess you get to learn about machine appliqueing complex shapes.

Comment

• minipinlady
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2018

Agreed. It's nicer when we can use the stuff we have , or order stuff that can be used for several projects. I realize they have done so many tutorials ,that there are limits to how many good ones can be done. The last 2 tutorials didn't inspire me to want to make one. That said , the Granny Squares just caught me up, so I would think it is a case of trying to appeal to a lot of varied people. Some tutorials inspire, some don't. I find some of the earliest tutorials are treasures. MSQC seems to be trying hard to appeal to a large number of people and their efforts are smart. They have missy to talk to the younger generations who rarely look up from their phones, and they have Jenny who talks to our generation well. Smart marketing. I wouldn't waste $20 on the pattern, but then I am still not impressed with their use of FedEx to Canada ( useless ) . I think FedEx will cost them customers, and put a dent in their excellent reputation. One can hope they divorce themselves from FedEx. A month stuck in one spot is stupid, in this day and age. We can always hope they open a franchise in Canada .Ha ha or return to Pony Express.

Comment

• K. McEuen
                  Super Moderator
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2011

FREE state outlines, state maps, shapes, patterns, stencils, and coloring pages of all 50 United States (US) states. Use these printable, downloadable patterns for woodworking projects, scroll saw patterns, laser cutting, crafts, string art projects, vinyl cutting, screen printing, silhouette, die cut machines, coloring pages, etc. Patterns include Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) templates and designs. State Map Outlines, Scroll

Blank outline maps for each of the 50 U.S. states
                  K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                  Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                  T - is it TRUE?
                  H - is it HELPFUL?
                  I - is it INSPIRING?
                  N - is it NECESSARY?
                  K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Kgrammiecaz
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2013

I dont mind the different range of tutorials. There are so many she has done we can all most likely find plenty to make. This way she gets to everyone. You never know when one of the different type tutes will catch your interest.
                    Karen
                    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

• dwil23
                      Missouri Star
                      • May 2012

I like this one, but it's not going to the top of "the never ending list". I was thinking it would be cool to get a fabric that represented each state you wanted to feature. For instance I have a piece that was printed especially for a shop hop and it features the "map" of Florida with images of places in the state. If you collected these types of fabric over time as you travel then it would be a nice travel quilt with special memories.
                      Donna

Comment

• dwil23
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
                        I dont mind the different range of tutorials. There are so many she has done we can all most likely find plenty to make. This way she gets to everyone. You never know when one of the different type tutes will catch your interest.
                        True, I appreciate the tutorials, even if I know it's unlikely I will ever make the quilt. We won't all like the same things.
                        Donna

Comment

• MaggieSue
                          Missouri Star
                          • Sep 2015

I was able to download all fifty states this morning???

Comment

• ilive2craft2
                            Missouri Star
                            • Oct 2012

The state outlines are linked in as a free pdf download

Jenny demonstrates how to make a beautiful applique map quilt of some of her favorite states. This quilt is made with one solid pack and one print pack of 10-inch squares of precut fabric (layer cakes). For this project, Jenny chose Murmur 10" Squares by Valori Wells for FreeSpirit Fabrics.
                            Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Working...
                            X