• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KarenC
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2015

What would you do?

So I am finishing a quilt for a friend that her great aunt had started. Before deciding to put the squares on point, I had cut out all the squares needed for a straight setting. Friend decided she like on point better so the grandmas fans were "standing" as you would hold it. I've sewn the rows together and now realize that if I cut the squares that would form the setting triangles, they will all be on bias. I will have two borders going around the quilt. Do I take off the end squares, and cut new setting triangles to prevent the bias edging along the borders? or Just starch heavily before trimming the bias edging? I am leaning toward ripping the end squares off and cutting new setting triangles, if I have enough fabric. Need to check that. But, am I crazy?
    Karen
    Spring, TX
  • Grey Lady
    The Guild President
    • Jan 2015

Re: What would you do?

have you tried Terial Magic? It's a spray stabilizer. I've used it, spraying lightly like starch. it washes out. I made a quilt using Manchester, which was a nightmare for me with the stretch. It worked magic for me. No stretch on the bias. Good luck.
    Diana Grey

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

Cozy quilts on point, have one square that's cut on the diagonals for the corner triangles. No bias on the block side, but bias is next to the borders. I've not had any problem with using their method.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• DeniseSm
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2013

Starch like crazy and you will be fine. Starch from the back side, let it sit 30 seconds, then flip it over and iron from the other side.
        Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

• KarenC
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2015

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I've never heard of Terial Magic, but will look for it on my next trips to the quilt stores. I do have lots of spray starch, so I think I may give that a try. You are all awesome.
          Karen
          Spring, TX

Comment

• Rhonda K
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2017

Are the squares cut big enough for the setting triangles?

You could also draw a diagonal line on the square and stay stitch on each side. Stitch within the 1/4 inch seam allowance so the stay-stitching won't show when you piece the triangles. Then cut the triangles. It is extra work. I do like the starch idea. Good luck!
            Just one more stitch...

Comment

• cv quilter
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2015

Terial Magic will help. I have used it, at first thought too stiff of a finish, but it washes out and sure helps as you piece.
              A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

• 201 Treadler
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2018

I would stay stitch
                June tailor makes a starch that is not a starch,
                AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter are 90% faster than a traditional rotary cutter and are safer and more accurate. Better Cuts Make Better Quilts.
                🧵Treadler from UK 👋

Comment

• KarenC
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2015

Update: I starched like crazy, because it didn't require a trip to the store and it appears to have worked. Those triangles are very stiff, but that's a good thing. Next step is cutting my borders. That will be my project for the weekend.
                  Karen
                  Spring, TX

Comment

• Spiff
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

I also love Terial Magic. I cut it about half with water and use it in place of starch when I really don't want something to stretch. It is also great to use to stiffen up fabric a little if you are going to be doing a lot of applique work on it. A little goes a long way.
                    Debbie

Comment

Working...
                    X