Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spray Basting and Wrinkles

I spray basted the backside of my quilt and the batting and thought I had all the wrinkles out of the backing but when I turned it over I discovered that I have wrinkles. I tried spraying the outside of the backing pretty heavily with water and working the wrinkles out. I also pulled up one side of the backing and smoothed it down. I have not resprayed that side yet. Any advice on the best way to prevent wrinkles in the future? I work on an office size conference table, but still have to work sections of the quilt at a time. I smooth 2 layers together, pull up the top layer, spray between the layers, and smooth the top layer back down. I normally have the batting on the table with the backing on top, but this time, for whatever reason, I had the backing on the table and smoothed the batting over it. Don't ask why, I am not sure why I did it this way this time. How does everyone else manage this? My quilt is 102 x 90 so working with it is a handfull.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spray Basting and Wrinkles

I worked on the floor. I spread out the back first and stretch and safety pin it to the carpet so it's tight. Then I spread out and roll up the batting/ then do the same with the top. I'll spray and roll about 10-12 " of the batting, then spray and roll until it's all done. Then I do the same with the top...

lol, now a days, on a quilt that size, I send it to be long armed. I just don't have the room in the living room or the sewing room in this house.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

3. Thanks toggpine thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Not fond of working on the floor anymore. I can lay this one out on the floor if I move things around, but just barely. I'm working the wrinkles out by pulling the backing off the batting, smoothing it and respraying. So far I think I'm getting it, but I just don't want to do the same thing next time. I hope I learn my lesson. I know there are a few people around who have the LAQ, and take in work, but I don't know them, or what they charge. I like to do my own, start to finish. Maybe someday I will find a used LAQ and get one set up here.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

When spray basting a larger quilt I start by laying the backing-wrong side up-and secure it with tape to a couple of plastic folding tables. I have found that if I stretch it taught it will wrinkle so I just smooth and tape it down. Spray the fabric then place the batting on. Next I put the top on, fold it over spray the wrong side smooth in place, repeat with remaining top. After this I move the quilt and finish the rest of the process.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On small quilts I find pressing after spray basting helps remove wrinkles. Not sure if that is do-able with a large quilt, though.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

7. Thanks cjsews thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have not tried taping it down, I am not sure where I would tape it other than the floor. I had not had this problem before so I must have done something different, and I guess it's that I laid the batting onto the backing and that I must have laid the backing onto the batting in the past, and then smoothed it nicely.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am probably the only one, but I am afraid of spray basting so I have never done it.

10. Thanks KS Farm Girl thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I try to be very carefull not to breathe it in, but I can't pin baste as it's too hard on my hands, as is hand basting. So that leaves spray basting. I find it very easy if I am doing a small baby quilt but a large queen is much harder.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also have never used spray basting. I'm still able to crawl around on the floor. I pin the backing on to the carpet with straight quilting pins, so it stays in place, then lay down the batting & smooth it all out, then lay down the top & smooth it out. I pin baste with the curved pins. When that's done, I mach. baste a lengthened serpentine stitch around the perimeter. It's what works for me.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Laura@Sew Very Easy did this video which helped me. https://youtu.be/8VWvojG2mK0. Hope it helps.

14. Thanks Monique thanked for this post