• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KS Farm Girl
    Prairie Pointer
    • Feb 2019

Spray Basting and Wrinkles

I spray basted the backside of my quilt and the batting and thought I had all the wrinkles out of the backing but when I turned it over I discovered that I have wrinkles. I tried spraying the outside of the backing pretty heavily with water and working the wrinkles out. I also pulled up one side of the backing and smoothed it down. I have not resprayed that side yet. Any advice on the best way to prevent wrinkles in the future? I work on an office size conference table, but still have to work sections of the quilt at a time. I smooth 2 layers together, pull up the top layer, spray between the layers, and smooth the top layer back down. I normally have the batting on the table with the backing on top, but this time, for whatever reason, I had the backing on the table and smoothed the batting over it. Don't ask why, I am not sure why I did it this way this time. How does everyone else manage this? My quilt is 102 x 90 so working with it is a handfull.
  • KPH
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2015

Re: Spray Basting and Wrinkles

I worked on the floor. I spread out the back first and stretch and safety pin it to the carpet so it's tight. Then I spread out and roll up the batting/ then do the same with the top. I'll spray and roll about 10-12 " of the batting, then spray and roll until it's all done. Then I do the same with the top...

lol, now a days, on a quilt that size, I send it to be long armed. I just don't have the room in the living room or the sewing room in this house.
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• KS Farm Girl
      Prairie Pointer
      • Feb 2019

Not fond of working on the floor anymore. I can lay this one out on the floor if I move things around, but just barely. I'm working the wrinkles out by pulling the backing off the batting, smoothing it and respraying. So far I think I'm getting it, but I just don't want to do the same thing next time. I hope I learn my lesson. I know there are a few people around who have the LAQ, and take in work, but I don't know them, or what they charge. I like to do my own, start to finish. Maybe someday I will find a used LAQ and get one set up here.

Comment

• Trudy A
        Designer Diva
        • Apr 2019

When spray basting a larger quilt I start by laying the backing-wrong side up-and secure it with tape to a couple of plastic folding tables. I have found that if I stretch it taught it will wrinkle so I just smooth and tape it down. Spray the fabric then place the batting on. Next I put the top on, fold it over spray the wrong side smooth in place, repeat with remaining top. After this I move the quilt and finish the rest of the process.
        One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

• bakermom
          Missouri Star
          • Sep 2010

On small quilts I find pressing after spray basting helps remove wrinkles. Not sure if that is do-able with a large quilt, though.
          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

• KS Farm Girl
            Prairie Pointer
            • Feb 2019

Thanks. I have not tried taping it down, I am not sure where I would tape it other than the floor. I had not had this problem before so I must have done something different, and I guess it's that I laid the batting onto the backing and that I must have laid the backing onto the batting in the past, and then smoothed it nicely.

Comment

• jjkaiser
              Missouri Star
              • Oct 2013

I am probably the only one, but I am afraid of spray basting so I have never done it.
              Jocelyn
              South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• KS Farm Girl
                Prairie Pointer
                • Feb 2019

I try to be very carefull not to breathe it in, but I can't pin baste as it's too hard on my hands, as is hand basting. So that leaves spray basting. I find it very easy if I am doing a small baby quilt but a large queen is much harder.

Comment

• JCY
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2013

I also have never used spray basting. I'm still able to crawl around on the floor. I pin the backing on to the carpet with straight quilting pins, so it stays in place, then lay down the batting & smooth it all out, then lay down the top & smooth it out. I pin baste with the curved pins. When that's done, I mach. baste a lengthened serpentine stitch around the perimeter. It's what works for me.

Comment

• Devchdm
                    Binding Belle
                    • Oct 2015

Hi
                    Laura@Sew Very Easy did this video which helped me. https://youtu.be/8VWvojG2mK0. Hope it helps.

Comment

• KS Farm Girl
                      Prairie Pointer
                      • Feb 2019

When I do a small quilt, such as a baby quilt, I take the backing out to the garage and clip it to a large piece of cardboard, spay it and then take it back to the basement and lay it out on the cutting table. But this large one I was not able to do that, it's too large for that. I think I have the wrinkled worked out now. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

• pcbatiks
                        Missouri Star
                        • Mar 2012

You could possibly use large binder clips to hold the backing in place on your table.
                        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• KS Farm Girl
                          Prairie Pointer
                          • Feb 2019

I am not sure they make binder clips wide enough for my table, but I do have some other clips that I could have used. I will have to remember that for next time. I have it fixed now, but I do not want to go through this another time.

Comment

• Maria Sews
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2017

I purchased a bag of plastic clamps from Home Depot (10 assorted size clamps for about $10 CDN). I clamp the backing to my table wrong side up, spray, add the batting spray again and then add the top. I keep moving it, clamping and spraying as necessary for the size of the quilt. Once I'm done , I'll smooth out any wrinkles that may have occurred with my hands and then iron both sides to secure the adhesive. If it's a large quilt, I iron directly on the table with no steam trying to be quick so as to not damage the table.

As for the spray adhesive - I use 505 - my husband who is a severe asthmatic has helped me many times with no side effects whatsoever.
                            Maria
                            From Sunny Alberta, Canada

Comment

• KS Farm Girl
                              Prairie Pointer
                              • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Maria Sews View Post
                              I purchased a bag of plastic clamps from Home Depot (10 assorted size clamps for about $10 CDN). I clamp the backing to my table wrong side up, spray, add the batting spray again and then add the top. I keep moving it, clamping and spraying as necessary for the size of the quilt. Once I'm done , I'll smooth out any wrinkles that may have occurred with my hands and then iron both sides to secure the adhesive. If it's a large quilt, I iron directly on the table with no steam trying to be quick so as to not damage the table.

As for the spray adhesive - I use 505 - my husband who is a severe asthmatic has helped me many times with no side effects whatsoever.
                              Thanks for the tip. I do have some plastic clips that will hold the backing to the table. I will have to try those next time. I didn't think about using them, even though I have them close to my sewing area.

Comment

Working...
                              X