Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spray Basting and Wrinkles

When I do a small quilt, such as a baby quilt, I take the backing out to the garage and clip it to a large piece of cardboard, spay it and then take it back to the basement and lay it out on the cutting table. But this large one I was not able to do that, it's too large for that. I think I have the wrinkled worked out now. Thanks for all your help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You could possibly use large binder clips to hold the backing in place on your table.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure they make binder clips wide enough for my table, but I do have some other clips that I could have used. I will have to remember that for next time. I have it fixed now, but I do not want to go through this another time.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a bag of plastic clamps from Home Depot (10 assorted size clamps for about $10 CDN). I clamp the backing to my table wrong side up, spray, add the batting spray again and then add the top. I keep moving it, clamping and spraying as necessary for the size of the quilt. Once I'm done , I'll smooth out any wrinkles that may have occurred with my hands and then iron both sides to secure the adhesive. If it's a large quilt, I iron directly on the table with no steam trying to be quick so as to not damage the table.

As for the spray adhesive - I use 505 - my husband who is a severe asthmatic has helped me many times with no side effects whatsoever.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Sews View Post
    I purchased a bag of plastic clamps from Home Depot (10 assorted size clamps for about $10 CDN). I clamp the backing to my table wrong side up, spray, add the batting spray again and then add the top. I keep moving it, clamping and spraying as necessary for the size of the quilt. Once I'm done , I'll smooth out any wrinkles that may have occurred with my hands and then iron both sides to secure the adhesive. If it's a large quilt, I iron directly on the table with no steam trying to be quick so as to not damage the table.

As for the spray adhesive - I use 505 - my husband who is a severe asthmatic has helped me many times with no side effects whatsoever.
    Thanks for the tip. I do have some plastic clips that will hold the backing to the table. I will have to try those next time. I didn't think about using them, even though I have them close to my sewing area.