Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting with flannel

I'm still pretty new at this and want to make a flannel quilt. Any big differences between flannel and regular cotton fabric? Any tips would be appreciated!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting with flannel

Welcome! Others will come along with more tips and ideas, but two things come to mind for me regarding working with flannel (which I love to do). First, it shrinks more than regular quilting cotton, so keep that in mind as you work with it. I always pre-wash my flannel (unless it is a precut - charm pack, layer cake, jelly roll, etc. Those I never prewash). And second, I lengthen my stitch length just a bit when working with flannel. I get better results that way.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

3. Thanks am2901 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have made a few quilts with flannel. First suggestion is to prewash your fabric unless it's precuts.

Then when sewing,, make sure not to stretch when sewing, also don't iron seam, just press lightly. DH started making a quilt with HST, over pressed them. Finished size of pieces were too long for block. It is now one of my UFOs, I promised I would finish for him.

Other than that, I love flannel quilts, on one side only or both sides.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Creates alot of lint when cutting so keep your lint roller handy. Also clean the lint out of your sewing machine once you're done. I also pre-wash flannel if it is yardage. Makes a nice cozy quilt. I use it mostly for the back and regular cotton for the front.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think the most important thing is prewashing. Also when I work with flannel I tend to make simple blocks with large pieces. I save the more intricate piecing for plain cotton quilting fabric.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I made a flannel back with 5 inch squares. I thought it was difficult to keep them from stretching out of shape but it was probably operator caused. lol.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I have found with flannel, as I’ve made lots of rag quilts, is that unless you use very high end flannel, they seem to pill after repeated washings. Although they get softer at the same time which makes them comfy! Yes, pre wash fabric and clean out your feed dogs quite a bit more often, especially if it’s a larger quilt.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I recently read on Pinterest, if you use flannel pre cuts, you can assemble the top, and then wash,. This is useful if using a Minky backing, because they don’t shrink the same.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmith40 View Post
    I recently read on Pinterest, if you use flannel pre cuts, you can assemble the top, and then wash,. This is useful if using a Minky backing, because they donít shrink the same.
    Welcome to the forum, Dasmith40! Please don't take this as criticism; just throwing in my two cents. I would not wash the quilt top unless you could be certain that the exposed raw edges wouldn't fray. Not sure how you could do that. I would be just sick if I had worked hard on a quilt top only to have it get ruined by washing.
    Last edited by MSN; June 14th, 2019 at 01:52 AM.

11. Thanks Dasmith40 thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for replying! I appreciate it. I thought since it was advice from a much more experienced quilter, I didn’t question it but you make perfect sense!