Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with “finished” table runner

So, I’m new to the actual quilting process-I typically pay for a long armer to finish my quilt tops. Have been experimenting with using my domestic machine on small projects—mainly with a walking foot— I’m really struggling with FMQ. So, here’s my problem— I completed a table runner without quilting the border and now I see that it really needs some quilting—it’s about 3” wide. Can I add quilting after the project is completed—binding and all? If so, would it be better to use my machine or hand quilt. Any simple design recommendations? Needless to say I have learned my lesson and won’t make the mistake again!! Thanks so much for your suggestions— I really like this little table runner and want to make sure it holds up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with “finished” table runner

Not sure what your table runner looks like, but I think it is possible. If you're concered about FMQ the border, you can always do a crosshatch in the border.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can add quilting to your runner.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely! Just avoid running your quilting into the binding & the body of the quilt. I've made quilts that I thought needed a bit more quilting after I finished them. E.g., a 1" wide inner border that I did only SITD on, but later I went back & quilted a serpentine line down the center of the border to dress it up & make the quilting more secure. A 3" wide border definitely needs to be quilted.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine made me a wall hanging and did an all over meander after she bound the quilt. Looks fine and I actually think it lays flatter than a wallhanging usually would.