When is a quilt just too ugly to continue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Newbie
    The Guild President
    • Jan 2015

When is a quilt just too ugly to continue?

I am embarrassed to post this, but want your input so...

I wanted to make a quick quilt for a colleague having baby. I made a quilt with what I thought would be a woven pattern. From about row 2 I hated it, but kept going. I added crazy appliqué stars because... Well I don’t know what I was thinking. Still terrible or even worse. Then I decided to slice out all the rows that had the woven look and I resewed the rows. It looked better, but I now realize my bar had been lowered because it was so ugly before. I should have stopped but . I decided to baste it.

Now this morning I look at it again and see it’s true weirdness. I wish I had not basted it because I do like the back. I just don’t think I can give this one away. I will use this for FMQ practice. When do you stop?

Here it is D87DD7F6-0F03-41A1-BC5F-3FB49D338A86.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Old Newbie; June 8, 2019, 09:46 AM.
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: When is a quilt just too ugly to continue?

I think it is fine. Someone who likes orange and bright colors would love this. Orange is my gd's favorite color and she would go nuts over it. I once made a chevron quilt and let my dd pick out the fabric, which I hated more and more with every seam. Lime green, teal, bright turquoise, neon yellow, etc. I did finish it and my dd was happy with it but I couldn't wait to get it out of my sight! And I took every scrap of leftover fabric to the thrift store.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• pcbatiks
      Missouri Star
      • Mar 2012

I like the bright colors. It's a pretty quilt. Maybe you should start the FMQ on it and see if you like it better after that.
      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

• GuitarGramma
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2012

I'm not an orange person, but I love your quilt! It makes me happy just looking at it. And it will be a terrific baby quilt!

I think you should finish it and gift it without apologies. I think your colleague will love it.
        Last edited by GuitarGramma; June 8, 2019, 10:38 AM.
        Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• KarenC
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2015

My thought is that it would be perfect for someone who likes orange, and there are lots of those folks out there. My second thought is " a lot of Astros fans would love it.".
          Last edited by KarenC; June 8, 2019, 10:20 AM.
          Karen
          Spring, TX

Comment

• KPH
            Missouri Star
            • Feb 2015

I love bright colors for baby quilts. FMQ it and see what you think then.
            Katrina
            From NC, retired in FL
            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2012

I'm going to have the unpopular response. I would use it as practice. Due to the fact you're not happy with it. You should have happy thoughts when you gift a quilt, not ugh sorry. I have one quilt that nothing would help. I didn't even sew the blocks together and everytime I run across them I cringe, I would only use them as practice. Just my opinion.

Comment

• minipinlady
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2018

I think it is stunning, the colors are gloriously happy. Maybe trade it to some one who likes it for something useful. I can think of someone lol. I would love to finish this. If you don't like working on it, stop and make one you do like. just don't resign to practice or waste when it is a treasure to others. Just my opinion =)

Comment

• Old Newbie
                  The Guild President
                  • Jan 2015

I have this problem cooking, too. I’ll be unsatisfied at step 3, or substitute something at step 4 and dislike it, but go on making it because I don’t want to waste the first 3 ingredients. I get myself into trouble with my thrift sometimes! I choose these colors because they are having a boy and my quilt was called “ Here Comes The Son!” The best thing so far for this quilt has been the name.

Comment

• quiltingaway
                    Missouri Star
                    • Sep 2014

I personally really like it. In the past I've had quilts I wasn't crazy about but then after quilting I loved them. Quilting just adds so much. On the other hand I have a quilt I'm working on with the same issue. I'm hoping I will love it when it is quilted.
                    Annie
                    "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• URIBARRI-MAYOR
                      Missouri Star
                      • Nov 2013

Hello, I think that each person in this forum loves some colors more than other and it seems that yellows and oranges do not like them very much, I am bright colors and I like it, but you must decide why you are going to give the quilt

Comment

• Deegles
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2014

Advice:
                        Finish it. Make something else for baby. Finish that one. Have the mom to be pick which one she wants of the two you made. That is a very happy, cheerful quilt. Having a baby is a very happy cheerful time in ones life. My bet is, she will love the one you have pictured here!
                        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Snip Snip
                          Missouri Star
                          • Sep 2014

I like it, and I don't even like orange very much. Why not do something else for the new baby, then you might feel better about this one, and be able to finish it and donate it. Sometimes we make extra pressure and anxiety for ourselves, not living up to our own expectations.

Or you could make another one, and give the new mom both. She will want more than one quilt/blanket anyway.

Comment

• grammaterry
                            Missouri Star
                            • Dec 2015

That quilt is precious. As you know, I make hundresds of quilts each year. Do I love them all? of course not. Some I find unhandsome, some I feel ashamed of. I post them here and realize we all have different likes. When I take them to sell them, I am amazed that the ones I dislike the most are the first to sell. Orange is BIG right now. So is aqua. I like the idea of making two but use one as the back for this one. Like Orange front, Aqua back. Then quilt the side you like the best. Both will be stunning. Don't be hard on yourself. Youre doing a great job
                            success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
                            Terry of NC

Comment

• LauraP
                              Missouri Star
                              • Dec 2015

I have only had one quilt that I just could not finish. I loved the material and the pattern but found I was having to force myself to work on it. I got three rows done before I called the lady I was making them for (identical twin quilts) and told her I couldn't finish them. She was fine with it, got $15 crappy looking bedspreads instead and is happy. What a sense of relief when I passed the whole mess to another quilter who went a different direction and loved the big quilt she made. Sometimes for your sanity you have to say enough

By the way I love your quilt!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X