Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When is a quilt just too ugly to continue?

Stop criticizing yourself! do as I say, not as I do (I'm the worlds worst critiquing myself).
    It doesn't matter what others think, including me! you should be proud because you put a lot of effort
    into this. This child will love the bright happy colors, and the mother will appreciate your gift.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
    I'm not an orange person, either, but I like this. I would either remove the applique stars, or if I left them in I would FMQ outlines of stars scattered across the quilt, then do loose wavy lines going across the background, maybe with a walking foot.
    I like the quilt but I don't care for the stars either. It is a bright happy quilt! Finish it and gift it. .

4. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I understand how you are feeling. I once made a quilt I truly disliked. It was so great in the planning stages, but in reality, once it was all coming together, I didn't like it at all. The more I worked on it the less I liked it - lol. But I did finish it and I donated it to our local shelter. Someone will always find beauty where we find none and I knew that someone, somewhere would like this quilt. It just wasn't me. So I have always hoped that whomever it went to found some beauty it and was comforted by its warmth.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

6. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

firstly love your quilt, and its the thought that counts.
    if was unsure about the front would make a fancy back or even use a panel, to making the quilt reversible, then the receiver can decide which side likes the best.

8. Thanks Old Newbie, am2901 thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have made a few that I wasn’t happy with, but only one that was, well, ugly. But I went to the fabric store and picked out fabric for borders, added a pinstripe (4 borders total) and it turned out way cool. Totally different than others I have made. I even sold it. Shockers!

I like the idea of making a second one for your friend that you do like, and then go back to work with this one. I think after adding a border and quilting it with your favorite pattern, it will surprise you.

And then if you do donate it, it will be proudly and someone will have a treasure. I like it, by the way. Good work!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I made 2 quilts for a dear friend; hated how both of them came together but gifted them anyway and have regretted it ever since. I feel as though I cheapened our friendship and I am now, several years on, still uncomfortable when I visit her if she has the quilts out. Interestingly, whenever I call on her unexpectedly the quilts are nowhere to be seen....they only appear when I arrive on a planned visit. Makes me feel worse now that I suspect she doesn't like them either.

I have also thrown a quilt I had made from scraps and partly quilted into the rubbish bin. As far as I was concerned it was going to be too much time and effort to try and unpick it all and try to make it better. I felt great about my decision and warned my husband if he retrieved it from the bin I would not be happy. He left it there as instructed and I started a new project with enthusiasm and no guilt!
    Last edited by just4me; June 11th, 2019 at 08:11 AM.

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your perspectives. This is what I have done. I fmq’d around those unfortunate stars and they did look better. I am setting this aside for now. I still love the name here comes the sun, and am making a different quilt for my workmate. I appreciate and learn from you all.

13. Thanks The_Last_Unicorn, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn’t look like a baby quilt to me.
    Personally I like to use bright colorful
    children’s prints when I make a baby quilt
    and like to incorporate bright solids as well.
    Search free baby quilt patterns on the net,
    there are a lot of great free patterns available.

15. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post