Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: When is a quilt just too ugly to continue?

Hello, I think that each person in this forum loves some colors more than other and it seems that yellows and oranges do not like them very much, I am bright colors and I like it, but you must decide why you are going to give the quilt

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Advice:
    Finish it. Make something else for baby. Finish that one. Have the mom to be pick which one she wants of the two you made. That is a very happy, cheerful quilt. Having a baby is a very happy cheerful time in ones life. My bet is, she will love the one you have pictured here!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

4. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like it, and I don't even like orange very much. Why not do something else for the new baby, then you might feel better about this one, and be able to finish it and donate it. Sometimes we make extra pressure and anxiety for ourselves, not living up to our own expectations.

Or you could make another one, and give the new mom both. She will want more than one quilt/blanket anyway.

6. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That quilt is precious. As you know, I make hundresds of quilts each year. Do I love them all? of course not. Some I find unhandsome, some I feel ashamed of. I post them here and realize we all have different likes. When I take them to sell them, I am amazed that the ones I dislike the most are the first to sell. Orange is BIG right now. So is aqua. I like the idea of making two but use one as the back for this one. Like Orange front, Aqua back. Then quilt the side you like the best. Both will be stunning. Don't be hard on yourself. Youre doing a great job

8. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have only had one quilt that I just could not finish. I loved the material and the pattern but found I was having to force myself to work on it. I got three rows done before I called the lady I was making them for (identical twin quilts) and told her I couldn't finish them. She was fine with it, got $15 crappy looking bedspreads instead and is happy. What a sense of relief when I passed the whole mess to another quilter who went a different direction and loved the big quilt she made. Sometimes for your sanity you have to say enough

By the way I love your quilt!
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

10. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an orange person, either, but I like this. I would either remove the applique stars, or if I left them in I would FMQ outlines of stars scattered across the quilt, then do loose wavy lines going across the background, maybe with a walking foot.

12. Thanks Old Newbie, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just quilted up two quilts that I deemed ugly quilts, and guess what? Now I don't think they are so ugly! And I showed it to some people and one lady wanted to buy one of them! They do make good FMQing practice tops, and you will make this one beautiful!

14. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OldNewbie, I think it's wonderful. You put your time and fabric into it. Be happy that it is done and gift it. Someone above said "No apologies".... I love homemade quilts....Love it and gift it. Personally, Orange was always my favorite color...ask my children...their rooms were full of orange and red....and I absolutely loved orange and red tissue flowers...Power to the Flower. Really, love what you have done and gift it with pride....OR....send it to me I forgot to mention that stars were then and now one of my favorite quilt and home designs.
    Last edited by cv quilter; June 8th, 2019 at 08:21 PM.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

16. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

do your practice , then use it as backing on a quilt you do like.

18. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you could donate this one to charity & make another one you like better for the baby. Our guild donates quilts to local charities; all donations are accepted. It will make some child very happy. It's a bright, cheerful quilt.

20. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post