Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's Saturday, again

Good Morning All,

It's a grey and dreary Saturday morning. It poured yesterday afternoon and kept the temperatures down. The weather man was bragging about it being the hottest May in history. Nothing to boast about in my opinion. Thankfully, it looks like its going to be cooler, thanks to the rain moving in.

I finished up two table runners that I started in March. It's nice not to see them just hanging out in the sewing room waiting on me. There's a baby shower at the end of the month. I bought a Jolly Bar pattern book, so I found a pattern that won't mean a lot of cutting since I've used half of the layer cake on a baby quilt for last year. If I don't add borders, I won't need to piece a back. So, I'm hoping to get a good start on it today.

The guttering is going to be installed next week. I'm looking forward to having that job taken care of, then I can move on to the next project.

Time to get busy!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: It's Saturday, again

Good Morning, Everyone ~ More frustrations with my Outlook e-mail. It's on the fritz again. I can receive, but can't send, forward, delete, etc. I hope they get it fixed soon.

Yest. we had our hottest day so far this spring; it got up to 96 deg. Last year we had 101 on the same day. Katrina, May was the 7th coldest on record in the Denver area this year. It's supposed to be cooler over the week end. I still haven't bought any flowers for the patio because of the cool spring, chance of hail, etc. Maybe today I'll get some. I usually buy hanging baskets & remove the wire hangers & set them out on the patio. The gardening centers have been extremely busy the past couple weeks. I hope they saved some flowers for me.

Yest. I finished the FMQ on the Alpha Bears ABC panel quilt & sewed the binding on one side. I'll try to finish that today.

Yest. evening I had a long chat with DS#2 who still is looking for a job. Keep praying the right thing will open up. He thinks he'll have a job at the Walmart distribution center (warehouse), but it's not a job he really wants, but he'll take it if nothing else opens up. It won't be enough pay; he'd have to get a 2nd job to make ends meets.

DS#1 had a good week in Tampa attending manager's training meetings. He arrived safely home last eve.

Well, time to get on with my day. I hope everyone has a good week end.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning! Yesterday was quite a day here. DH will turn 66 next month so we went to the regional SSA office that is supposed to serve our county for him to sign up for his retirement benefits. DH is a farmer who likes to do business in person, and trips like this have to be done on rainy days. We drove 45 minutes in the rain to be there when the office opened only to be told there was no one there to process his application. DH was given a letter scheduling a phone interview in 10 days. We were flabbergasted! I worked for the state public assistance agency for 20+ years and the first thing we were taught was that we ALWAYS take an application when requested. I couldn't believe that a federal SSA office didn't have one person available to do this.

Luckily, there is another SSA office about 35 minutes from our home in another county. I called that office, told them the situation, and confirmed that there would be assistance there. Off we went again in the rain and, in less than 30 minutes after DH registered in, he was interviewed and his retirement benefits were processed. The interviewer was extremely nice and also stunned by what happened at the other SSA office. I let them have a copy of the letter for the phone appointment and I'm sure they had plenty to talk about after we left. I'm debating whether to contact SSA and complain about the first office.

The sun is starting to peek out from behind the clouds here, but more rain is in the forecast for this weekend. I have a donation quilt to bind today (binding and borders are my least favorite parts of quilting). I hope everyone has a great weekend.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning,

It's another sunny and warm day. Love it. We've been waiting for heat for so long and so much to do outdoors. We couldn't really do much in April and May, so wet and rainy. This is such a contrast with the weather that many of you are experiencing.

I picked my GS early, it was a PD day. We went to McD, hoping he would burn some energy on gym structures. No chance. I brought him for eye appt, visited my mom and mostly played with BeyBlades all day. In & out. Exhausting. When I brought him home, he had to get ready for soccer. DD & family packed kids in car to go to the fields. This is definitely suburbia - there are over 40 soccer fields and I figured close to 500 5-8 yr kids playing. Add all their families, and it's huge. I stayed awhile, but could not stand for long. I came home and DH was still sleeping from afternoon nap. Guess he needed it. I watched the movie 'Eat, pray, love'. Toronto Raptors won the 4th game in final, so on to next game.

Today DH wants to go gliding, so I will rest and do stuff around the house. I will have no problem keeping busy and entertained. I'm hoping to buy a few tomato & cucumber plants and get them in the garden.

Enjoy your day. Be safe.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it is almost noon here. Enjoyed this morning's walk and a long breakfast with the group. Came home, finished mowing the back yard, shower, and now the rest of the day is free. I think I am going to take a road trip tomorrow to The Texas Quilt Museum in La Grange. Tomorrow is the last day of Danny Amazonas' exhibit "Walk on the Wild Side" http://texasquiltmuseum.org/exhibits-at-txqm.html Don't know why I can't get it to be a link, but you can copy and paste in your browser, if interested It appears to be less than a 2 hour drive, so I think it will be good to get out. Later this evening a friend is coming over so we can pick a layout for her grandma's fan quilt. It's the one her great aunt had started.

Joy, sorry to hear the struggles your DS is having finding a good job. That's tough after relocating. Praying for some good new for him.

Hoping everyone has a great weekend.

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon!
    DH is off at a music flea market so I'm home with the doggies. It is also the local Art & Wine Fair for our town. It is a street fair with music and food and vendors selling all kinds of things. I wish we had gone to it but oh well. Maybe tomorrow. I still can't find my sewing mojo. If you see it, please send it back to me. I really miss it.

Jeannette

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jeannette, don't forget that the punishment for not sewing is HOUSEWORK. Are you sure you can't find your mojo?
    ATTITUDE IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN ORDEAL AND AN ADVENTURE

13. Thanks Claire Hallman, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Laura, I didn't know that! OMG I better start sewing!

Jeannette

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post