Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Make a "Diamond Pavers" Quilt with Jenny Doan

Not one I think I'd make, but you never know. It does look easy though.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love it. It is totally my kind of quilt. Already have my layer cake picked out. Need to find some white for the sashing.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How many new (or newish ) quilters would be comfortable about just eye-balling the strip and stitching it on the 10" square? It would be a nightmare if the strip (once flipped) did not cover the corner If I attempt this block, I'd be frantically marking my squares to correctly position the strip.

I have seen a similar pattern by Libs Elliott called Mixtape. It is a free pattern by Andover and comes with a paper piecing template.

4. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would be marking the squares too. Hi Preeti!!

6. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really love this pattern. But I would surely mark each square so they are all the same and it takes the anxiety out of did I sew it correctly. Cant wait to see what fabrics are picked by those going to try it.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

So very rarely I see a quilt made by Jenny that isn't perfect, but this quilt really is one I would hate to be given as a gift. Guilt would make me keep it, since it is a gift, but if it was a give away , it would stay where it was. Even my dogs would give this the quilt a dewclaw down. I am sure it has to be hard to come up with something new, when there has been so many greats to follow. Maybe a suggestion list would be a good thing. I look at this quilt and say thanks for all the great ones like zigzag runner, rhombus everything, half hexy everything, and granny squares among so many choices of tutorials. Maybe a new thread asking what are the top ten favorites every one has for Jenny's tutorials ?

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... Rarely do I like any of the patterns presented on her videos well enough to make one, but this one has promise. I like more modern, but her color choices don't do this pattern justice. Look at the supplies list at :33 seconds. The green rendering of it at that point looks great. I can see this in ombres in a single color of different values.

10. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I found the pattern Preeti mentioned: https://www.andoverfabrics.com/Grid....ape#dmxTabs1-5 . Totally different construction, slightly different color placement: each block is half sashed in black and half in white. I think the MSQC construction is easier, even if you waste a little more fabric that way. I would mark out the strip placement, too, say a scant 2.25" from the top and 0.5" from the bottom (or maybe 0.25", I'd have to test it and see first).

Quote Originally Posted by minipinlady View Post
    So very rarely I see a quilt made by Jenny that isn't perfect, but this quilt really is one I would hate to be given as a gift. Guilt would make me keep it, since it is a gift, but if it was a give away , it would stay where it was. Even my dogs would give this the quilt a dewclaw down. I am sure it has to be hard to come up with something new, when there has been so many greats to follow. Maybe a suggestion list would be a good thing. I look at this quilt and say thanks for all the great ones like zigzag runner, rhombus everything, half hexy everything, and granny squares among so many choices of tutorials. Maybe a new thread asking what are the top ten favorites every one has for Jenny's tutorials ?
    With around 52 tutorials a year, I expect I won't like every single one. I feel odd saying anything negative about a free tutorial, but these are essentially marketing tools the showcase MSQC products. It's a brilliant strategy - other companies are starting to do tutorials, too, and I'd say it has definitely helped increase my stash of fabric and tools.

MSQC's specialties are precuts and patterns with easy construction, so they're working within some constraints for each tutorial. Very few tutorials exclusively use yardage because you would have to make so many more choices about your fabric to make a pretty top. With a precut, you only need to select an accent, a background, and a border. It is easy to plan and buy supplies to make your version of an MSQC tutorial quilt. Additionally, since many M* patterns have similar fabric requirements, you can make something else than you originally planned or save that special precut for a future tutorial. I can buy a jelly roll/layer cake and 2yds of border fabric and be all set to make any one of probably 75% of their patterns.

Precuts limit the size of the quilt you can make to a degree, and also your possible layouts (e.g. a 6x7 block layout for a layer cake).

A design also has to look good with a variety of prints. Not all precuts have the same variety: some have only 12 prints, others have 40, some have all medium tones, others are split between very dark and almost white. I think this is a big part of why someone might dislike the sample quilt in the tutorial but love the sample presented in the magazine or made by someone on Instagram. The North Star pattern, for example, can have an ombre look using batiks or it can also look spectacular with prints.

I like that M* is starting to dip its toe into more advanced techniques like curved piecing. That opens up a lot more possibilities.

Some of the designs are little funky to me, but I'd rather see a funky chicken quilt tutorial than a non-quilt tutorial from them.

12. Thanks sydneybean, MSN, DeniseSm thanked for this post