Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! Thread keeps breaking.

When I catch my thread by going backward, my thread breaks on second or third stitch forward. I have
    changed needles,
    Changed thread ( Aurofil and Superior),
    tweaked tension 1 forward and then 1 back.

This is happening as I walking foot straight line quilt. Any suggestions?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help! Thread keeps breaking.

Is this happening every single time or just some times?

Do you having a regular walking foot or an IDT walking foot?

Are you sure your walking foot is rated to stitch backwards? IDT walking foot can. I know my Brother walking foot can not. Check your manual. Just because someone else's walking foot can sew backwards doesn't mean yours can to.

If all else fails don't stitch backwards with your walking foot. Set your stitch really small and sew forward for one inch. Then switch to your regular stitch length. Will the smaller stitches show? Yes if you look really close.But they won't come out and your thread won't break. Who is going to look that close at your stitches?
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks Old Newbie, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I broke a walking foot by trying to backstitch. Guess they weren't meant to run that way.

5. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    used to set stitch length knob back to zero then move back to length setting heh he fond memories the singer vintage 66 was certainly a learning curve, and that knob was never seized am sure these modern machines can do the same function although

quickly learnt its far easier to have less pressure on pressure bar and just hold firm the item which stops the knob setting remembering.
    some fabrics may not like this method regarding feed dogs movement underneath so test before hand.
    walking feet don't like reverse.
    also learnt thread breaks if there is fluff lint tiny fibres in bobbin area as well as the needle being over 8 hours stitch use old, and if really unlucky the tension has reset itself? causing the breaks.. perhaps we are haunted
    hope you manage to get sorted nothing worse then rethreading constantly and burying the ends.
    (then again cutting the thread with sharp yup sharp scissors makes for an easier rethread, all these years have used blunt clippers and tugged the thread causing a tale not a sharp blunt end I laugh at this error of 6 years. )
    perhaps the needle falling out of holder is a close second irritation while sewing..

fingers are crossed for you
    ps just an after thought after pressing enter
    try needle down to pull the bottom thread to top of work before you start sewing see if that helps.
    Last edited by 201 Treadler; June 3rd, 2019 at 11:16 PM.

7. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you have cleaned out your bobbin area. This can be causing a challenge if the thread is not looping correctly and getting caught and tugged instead of completing a stitch.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Why are you "going backward?" If it's back-stitching at the beginning of a seam, it's sounds like maybe you are picking up the thread tail(s) when you change directions. This can cause a knot, or wrap around the needle, so thread can't be pulled off the bobbin or the top. It will break every time. Manage those thread tails.
    You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Oh! My! I learned so much by your replies! I did not know that about walking feet! The tiny stitch method suggested by Denisesm is a great idea. No, didn’t clean bobbin area and now realize that is mistake, thanks Treadler and Winnower. And yes, oldmanquilts, I could have been catching thread tails. Thank you all.

13. Thanks 201 Treadler, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I recently took my machine apart and could not believe the lint balls and fluff buried in small crannies and under the bobbin case. I just wish I had a teeny tiny vacuum instead of a child's toothbrush.

15. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    I recently took my machine apart and could not believe the lint balls and fluff buried in small crannies and under the bobbin case. I just wish I had a teeny tiny vacuum instead of a child's toothbrush.
    They make a micro vacuum attachment that goes on your vacuum cleaner. Really gets your sewing machine clean

https://www.amazon.com/ANBOO-Attachm...s%2C150&sr=8-7
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

17. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    The area that surprised me the most was under the feed dog plate. When I first inherited my 201, I had been faithful to clean the bobbin area and tension knobs regularly, but after several months, one day I got ambitious and decided to give it a good and thorough cleaning, took off the feed dog plate and O.M.G. ! It wasn't a little lint ball, it looked more like a piece of felt. It was so packed in there that I'm surprised those dogs could move at all.

19. Thanks Old Newbie, DeniseSm thanked for this post