Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Craftsy info you might be interested in

I don't belong to Craftsy but I know alot of you do. There was recently some discussion on the Forum about their change over to Blueprint. I subscribe to a newsletter by Wendi Gratz of shinyhappyworld. She was an instructor at Craftsy and is quite upset about changes, to the point where she is quitting. I did get her permission to repost the part of her newsletter where she describes in detail what is going on at Craftsy. The article is not long, but is probably too long for a Forum post. If you go to her shinyhappyworld.com website and click on the blog link it should take you to the newsletter with the headline Reminder about a Cute Giraffe and Other Handmade News. It is definitely worth reading. If you can't find it just PM me and I will send you the article.

2. Thanks 201 Treadler, Jess1377, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Craftsy info you might be interested in

Evidently people are having trouble accessing that newsletter so I am copying and pasting that portion here. I am sure if this is frowned upon the moderators will delete it but I am giving it a try. Jocelyn
    Here goes:
    Shiny happy world
    What's New

I really hate to include unhappy news here, but there's some information I need to communicate with you all and this is the best way to make sure as many people as possible hear it.

Several years ago I made two classes with Craftsy and it was an AMAZING experience. I'm so proud of the classes we created together, and I know a lot of you have enjoyed taking them.*Unfortunately, I can't recommend them anymore.

When NBCUniversal bought Craftsy they switched all of their focus to a subscription model where students paid a flat rate every month and got unlimited access to all the classes. Instructors were told that we would not be answering subscriber questions, which was reflected in lower pay for classes watched as part of the streaming model.

To be clear, we would continue to answer questions for people who bought the class outright to own in their Forever Library. We have a terrific dashboard to do that, and it's how I've started every workday since recording those classes.

Unfortunately, they did not make that distinction clear to the students. For the better part of the last year, instructors have been hearing from unhappy students who contacted us directly through our own websites and asked why we weren't answering their questions. Those questions never showed up in our instructor dashboards, so we assumed it was a technical problem, reported it to Craftsy (now Bluprint) and answered their questions by responding to their emails.

Last week we found out that the problem was FAR WORSE than we ever realized. Bluprint sent all instructors an email letting us know that they had just created a new dashboard where we could also answer subscriber questions if we wanted to. Every instructor I know was horrified to find hundreds - if not thousands in some cases - of unanswered questions. These were students asking the instructors, often by name, for help, asking again and again and again and getting no response. We immediately sent a group letter to the head of Bluprint demanding that they send out an immediate apology to students, explaining that instructors had never even seen these questions and asking them to clarify their instructor interaction policy to the students.*

They did not do that. They sent out a letter saying that the unanswered questions were due to a technical problem. It was not. We didn't see the questions because our contracts state that we do not answer them. The problem is that Craftsy didn't tell that to students, and they still haven't made that clear.

Now they are telling students that instructors*may*answer questions, but it's optional. That is also not true. Yes, we can technically answer questions, but the way they have the interface set up is totally unfeasible. There is a backlog of hundreds of questions. The questions are not sorted by the date they were asked, so there's no way to address the most recent questions first. The unanswered questions are mixed in with answered questions and there's no way to see which is which without clicking through to each comment to see if there's already a response. Even if I were able to make it through the tremendous backlog, new questions would just be mixed in and I have no way of knowing which ones they are.*

Which bring me to why I'm airing this dirty laundry. I'm not normally a negative person, but I'm done. NBCUniversal has, from the day they acquired Craftsy, shown nothing but disregard for their instructors, and now for their students. I will continue to answer questions from students who have my classes in their Forever Library, but I will not be spending days working through a year's worth of unanswered questions on a non-functional interface.

In addition, I will no longer link to my Craftsy classes on my website. It'll take me a while to find and delete all those links, but I'm working on it.

I will mourn the loss of a fantastic platform. I loved taking classes on Craftsy and I know a lot of you did too. But NBCUniversal has ruined it. They have deliberately misled their customers to make them think they're getting something they're not, and they have refused to clearly correct their mistake.*

If anyone has a lingering question from one of my classes, you can reply to this email with your question and I will answer it.

And now, on to happier news. Whew.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's sad. I enjoyed what I purchased from Craftsy, but I haven't purchased anything since the change over. I've read from some of those artist that they dropped, and it wasn't nice or kind then and it sounds like they're not being nice and kind to those artist they're depending on, now.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I read this in an email a couple of days ago. It’s sad that they treated the instructors & customers dishonestly. They ruined a good thing.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to learn this. Thanks for taking the time to post that info. here. I have not purchased any classes since the take-over. I loved the classes I took when it was Craftsy. Those included 2 by Amy Johnson, how to quilt with rulers, & some of Angela Walters' FMQ classes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't bought anything since the take over either. I will keep my forever classes and be content with that. Thank you Jocelyn for the information.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I never had a good feeling about that change over. I did do their free subscription about a month ago because there was one course I wanted to try. (Also got the free one life time one choice. ) I'm glad you mentioned this because I forgot to cancel it and have already been charged for this month. That's on my to do list :-/ I really hate it when a company treats their employees wrongly and I have no love for a company who has so little respect for it's customers.

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I've never got into the Craftsy thing, I guess because lack of time. This would not be my preference for learning.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is disheartening. Craftsy used to be such a good thing. Remember when they gave us a few free weekends to watch as many classes as we could cram in to our schedules? They had very good customer service, too. I haven't done any business since the change over. I find locating my 'forever' classes awkward. Bluprint bombards me constantly via email. I may unsubscribe.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How terrible! I bought a couple of classes when it was Craftsy and I have lots of freebies from there. I have had no dealings whatsoever with BluPrint since they took it over. From day one I didn't like the way they treated their instructors and now their customers. Glad I went with my gut on that and didn't put any more money into their pockets.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!