Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Wonky Stars Question

Maybe it's my dressmaking roots, but I am cutting the legs of my big wonky stars on the straight of grain. Jenny does not do this in her tutorial for this quilt pattern, and she also does not trim away the underlying fabric, which lends stability to the quilt top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB8Z-Zuad2A

It occurs to me that "wonky" implies cutting fabric any which way, and not necessarily on the straight. Perhaps quilting itself keeps the quilt top "square." Would love to hear from experienced quilters about this!
    Last edited by Laurie B; June 3rd, 2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Hit send before I added text. Sorry.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Big Wonky Stars Question

Laurie, what's your question?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In this pattern, "Wonky" refers to the various sizes of the star points. They are not uniform or consistent, therefore they are "Wonky".

No matter how you cut triangles (which are what the star points are), every triangle is going to have at least one edge cut on the bias, no getting around that. For me, as long as that bias edge is eventually sewn to another fabric that is straight of grain (even if its just a border), I'm happy. I suspect Jenny's method was used to simplify the process as it would be more difficult to try to calculate where to put the straight of grain corner prior to sewing so that once it's flip over & pressed it ends up in the corner of the block (especially since the star points are inconsistent in size).

I personally would have trimmed the underlying fabric from the block as it would just have added bulk to the seam, and the fabric that would have been removed would be recycled into another scrappy quilt at some point.

4. Thanks Laurie B thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

When I make a Wonky star block I cut on the straight of
    grain because I cut strips first. Wonky means the star
    points are different lengths.
    Wonky is not the way the fabric is cut.

6. Thanks Laurie B thanked for this post