Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting a string quilt

Someone gave me a string quilt to quilt or have quilted that their grandmother made. I took it to a quilt shop to buy backing fabric and the owner told me that most string quilts canít be quilted on a longarm because thereís too much stretch in them. She recommended tacking or tying the quilt. Anyone have experience with a string quilt, either quilting it or tacking it? She actually didnít look at the quilt. It does seem to have some stretch to it. It would be much prettier if it were quilted versus tied.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting a string quilt

Bonnie Hunter does it all the time. Does it have borders? That should stabilize it.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

It does not have borders ��

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    Bonnie Hunter does it all the time. Does it have borders? That should stabilize it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You could easily hand quilt that with Perle cotton #8 doing big stitch. It would look nice and that kind of stitching goes pretty fast. Maybe a spider web sort of pattern.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have FMQ'd only one string quilt. My strings were 2" wide. I put sashing in between the blocks, & it had a border. There should be no problem quilting it. Maybe check with another LA quilter or quilt it yourself. Do a thorough job of clipping threads on the back of the top. Careful spray starching with pressing (not ironing) also will help stabilize it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve made several string quilts & never really had a problem with stretching. Try folding it lengthwise then width wise. If it folds up fairly evenly then in my opinion I’d go ahead & have it quilted. If it turns out too wonky once it’s quilted you could always try to square it up a little bit, assuming it won’t ruin the pattern.
    Personally, I love string quilts & it doesn’t freak me out if my quilts aren’t perfectly square. No one ever notices that kind of thing.
    Be sure to post a pic, I’d love to see it
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to longarming and had great success quilting my own string quilt. Was the shop trying to sell you supplies offering you this advice? That is the only reasonable idea that comes to mind. Take it to your longarmer, they will probably be more than happy to do it. You can always send it in to M* too.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have never had an issue quilting my string quilts
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for this advice.....I have only used a walking foot t do my own quilting. I’ve not free motion quilted anything other than practice sandwiches. The lady that asked my to finished the quilt knows nothing about quilting so she will be happy with whatever I do. I’m just opposed to tacking it. Her grandmother made the quilt and she wants to have it finished so she can put it on her daughters bed. A little background... both of our children have a very rare genetic disease (less than 300 in the world have it) and we met at the NIH a few years ago while we were both seeing the geneticist who discovered the gene that causes the disease. We connected on Facebook afterwards and the rest is history. She doesn’t sew at all and she asked me to help her get the quilt finished. So my thought was to have my long arm quilter quilt it and I would put the binding on. I’m not sure why the owner of the quilt shop told me it couldn’t be quilted by machine. She didn’t try to sell me anything but she was adamant that string quilts can’t be be quilted by a long arm. As far as squaring it up, I don’t think she would notice or mind if it was trimmed. I was just very afraid it would get ruined if I had my lady try to quilt it. I asked her if she had ever quilted a string quilt and she said no. She’s done a great job on everything I’ve sent her so far. It would be a shame if a quilt made by someone’s grandma was messed up. Based on what you all have told me, it can be done, but might need to be trimmed up quite a bit when finished.

I wouldn’t mind hand quilting a quilt that I am going to keep but I really don’t want to invest the time in a quilt I am not going to keep. The only hand quilting I’ve done was for a church craft fair and I was sitting around the frame with some very experienced quilters trying to master those teeny tiny stitches. I would have to figure out how to mark the quilt, do I use a frame or hoop etc. I would rather learn and invest the time on one of my own quilts.

I was sort of freaking out about having it machine quilted but I think it will be ok.
    Thanks for the great advice!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a LA but I have quilted a couple of string quilts on my domestic machine.
    This was the first one:

Actually the quilting improved it: as one of my first quilts not all the blocks would lay perfectly flat before I quilted it.

11. Thanks sewbizzy, Ltoppins thanked for this post