Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rules for hand quilting design

I just finished piecing a Hunter's Star quilt. The way I arranged the blocks made 9" solid spaces throughout the quilt. Now I would like to hand quilt it. Can anyone offer an opinion on whether there is an unwritten rule that if you have a lot of angles and pointy corners you should fill the space with curvy quilting? Seems like I have heard that. Thanks!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rules for hand quilting design

I believe the curves counter balance all the straight lines. It is pleasing to the eye but not a rule. As I am not good at FMQ I have a lot of straight line quilting on my quilts.

3. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are no rules when it comes to quilting....the project is your own creation and create as it is pleasing to you. Since I changes my genre of quilting 2 years ago (patchwork to modern); I now use more geometric and straight line quilting versus "curvy". Even if it is hand quilting or machine quilted, do what satisfies you.
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

5. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Do what pleases you. I hand quilt and don't care what the Quilt Police say. If angles and lines enhance your piecing, then do it.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt, your rules.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

8. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There is no rule but you are right, people often do curvy lines when the piecing is very geometric, so it depends what you like. I am a hq and although I love quilting I often choose to do straight line quilting simply because I can do most of it freehand after marking maybe a line or two and it's kind of a shortcut. I have to mark pretty much everything if I do curves.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

When I made a Prairie Star quilt I also hand quilted. I had some large white blocks that I quilted a star into, carrying over the star motif. I cannot imagine my quilt with curvy lines, but I have always believed the quilter gets to chose what is quilted on it.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies. I went with a Celtic knot because it makes me happy! Figured I'm the one sleeping under it. Appreciate the encouragement!

12. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post