Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smaller machine for piecing

I want to buy an inexpensive sewing machine for piecing and maybe quilting small projects. I don't want to replace my current machine, I want portability and to use at home when I take my machine in for a cleaning and a check-up.

Anyone have suggestions. I've been researching machines, and there are so many to choose from that I feel as if my mind is going in circles. I'm in a new state and haven't met quilting buddies yet.

Any input is welcome and will help me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Smaller machine for piecing

I like my little Project Runway Brother. I don't know if they still make it. It has just as many stitches as my big boy Husky.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Katrina, that is the machine my son bought for his wife, she hasn't given me a report yet.
    I have an Elna for my portable machine. I love it. Let me check the model. Elna Experience 550. I've had it about 2 months. I like the extension table, needle down, speed control, lightweight, and it has 49 stitches. Front loading bobbin. All things I was looking for. The needle down is only when I push the button and also the reverse is a hold down button, but that is ok. I am not planning on quilting with it, but it is a dream with quarter inch seams. Try out several models if you are able to and find one that feels comfortable for you.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Katrina. I'll check it out.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Patty, thanks for the info. I've never heard of Elna. I can find it online, but so far, I haven't located a store that sells it. I'll keep looking. I've like to try out the machine I purchase.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a used Janome QS30 for the same purpose. So far I'm pleased with it.

7. Thanks corafoerstner@gmail.com thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Babylock girl. Tried others. I think they are all good in their own way. Depends on features you want. Needle down is my favorite. Go to a shop near you that sells machines and try some out. Good Luck.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

9. Thanks corafoerstner@gmail.com thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Janome 3160 as my "traveling" extra machine. It weighs about 12 pounds and has all my required features: needle threader, needle up/down, etc.and stitches beautifully. I would suggest that maybe look for a smaller machine in the same brand of machine you currently have. Most of the time the feet are interchangeable, the bobbins are the same, and the learning curve is much smaller if you are already familiar with that brand.
    Welcome to the board.

11. Thanks corafoerstner@gmail.com, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a Brother SB3129 back in 2014 and it's still going strong! It does great for piecing and quilts small projects! I have taken it to plenty of sew-in days and classes over the past 5 years!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

13. Thanks corafoerstner@gmail.com thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have a small Brother machine as well, purchased three years ago. I don't think you can go wrong with that brand. It sews like a champ and is great for piecing. It also handles bulky seams (like bindings) better than my more expensive Babylock. I also use it on appliqué projects because it has an adjustable speed control.

15. Thanks corafoerstner@gmail.com thanked for this post