Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Needled or not

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Needled or not

Hi from the UK - about batting/wadding? I usually buy Warm and Natural but have noticed lately that sellers are offering the "needled" version which I gather is punched and gives a firmer feel. What is your opinion - have you used it and what do you think? I'm inclined to stick with what I know before I order anymore. Not too many stores around me to be able to check it out. Thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Needled or not

I used W&N for a while but have switched to Hobbs 80/20. It has to be quilted closer together but seems a little thicker to me which I like.
    A friend mentioned they like the new Warm and fluffy [I think that was the name] but I have not tried it.
    I like sticking to the same batting since I can piece the scraps together and not waste much.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know Warm and Natural has always been needle punched because it has always had a scrim. I see on their website that they now have an all cotton needle punched batting, but I have not tried it yet. Would love to hear from someone who has how they like it for machine quilting. I've enjoyed W & N, but lately I have started using Quilter's Dream, which comes in several thicknesses, and I like that. Quilter's Dream is also needle punched, but doesn't have a poly scrim.

https://warmcompany.com/frequently-asked-questions

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like puffy light quilts so I am a polyester girl. Have ordered W and N and a less expensive one from Joann's but both of them make a very flat quilt which I don't care for so back to poly.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Last week I called the company that makes Quilter's Dream batting as I wanted to know if their Supreme line could be hand quilted (answer no). I was looking for a loftier batting than Request, their thinnest. Even though they only sell to retailers she kindly offered to send me a sample book of all their battings at no charge so I could see the loft differences. She was very helpful and knowledgeable. Their website gives a good overview of their types of batting and I know other mfg websites have similar helpful info. Good luck finding what you want.
    Also check out Connecting Threads:
    https://www.connectingthreads.com/tu...-to-batting/88
    Connecting Threads is a shop in the U.S that carries thread, batting, quilting supplies and I think fabric.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; May 27th, 2019 at 04:56 PM.