Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How fussy are you about your seams staying flat?

I shorten my stitch length when I plan on pressing seams open. Learned that from Leah Day.

I like to use Best Press starch in unscented. I water it down to 4 parts water and 1 part starch. I like it better that way.

And if you have a lot of bias edges, do a stay stitch 1/8 inch from edge. Learned that from Eleanor Burns.

I also have a machine that tries to flip the seams! If it's not a problem I let it go but if it increases the bulk I rip it out and sew it again. I quilted one quilt for a friend that did not decrease bulk in the seams and my needle got stuck 3 different times!
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I press to the dark side, use a spray bottle of water and regular iron, no steam. Once in awhile a seam flips to opposite side when sewing blocks together, BUT who is going to know once it is quilted. Now in Hawaiian quilting by hand which is my specialty, we have to sew very long seams to join fabric together to get a double size piece. I sew a 5/8" seam and press them open. It takes three layers the same size to make a quilt and you don't want those seams flipping to one side, OR when hand quilting across those seams you will either be going through 4 layers of fabric and one batting. If layers happen to stack on top each other then you are quilting through 3 layers for design, 3 layers for background, one layer of batting and 3 layers on the back, OUCH. So I am usually very careful when laying out quilt to offset those seams by about 3/4 - 1" so they don't stack.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of finger pressing before I iron and use a ton of best press starch. Unflat seams are not pretty.

One thing that I have found if I have to piece the back which is most of the time, I press the seam to one side and then use the biggest stitch I have to sew it down and press again. When the quilt is finished I pull out the basting. You can barely see the seam and its not twisted and lays flat.
    Last edited by TMP; May 27th, 2019 at 04:56 PM.

4. Thanks The_Last_Unicorn thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    I do a lot of finger pressing before I iron and use a ton of best press starch. Unflat seams are not pretty.

One thing that I have found if I have to piece the back which is most of the time, I press the seam to one side and then use the biggest stitch I have to sew it down and press again. When the quilt is finished I pull out the basting. You can barely see the seam and its not twisted and lays flat.
    That's pretty smart!

I'm enjoying reading everyone's tips and tricks for taming seams. Thanks for sharing

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I must be the sloppiestquilter ever. I never notice stuff like this. I sew, I sandwich, I quilt, I bind and then I stand back and admire how magical it is that you can take scraps of fabric and make a creative, usable blanket.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I am super fussy about seams being flat, partly because I'm my own longarmer. I will use starch as needed, but I prefer not to starch too much to avoid fabric shrinkage in just those places. I will finger press, then dry press, then steam. If it still puts up a fight I use a tailor's clapper after steam.

I'm also a huge fan of spinning seam allowances behind blocks whenever possible, though for HST or 60-degree triangles I agree that pressing open is often the flattest you can get them.

8. Thanks The_Last_Unicorn thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post

Thanks for the idea to use a basting stitch. I use a similar method for backings and top stitch the seam too. It stays in the quilt though. I will try your method next time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You took the words right out of my mouth! We would be the best quilt buddies ever if you lived here))) GB
    Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    Wow, I must be the sloppiestquilter ever. I never notice stuff like this. I sew, I sandwich, I quilt, I bind and then I stand back and admire how magical it is that you can take scraps of fabric and make a creative, usable blanket.
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

11. Thanks CraftyJnet, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the OCD (it really should be CDO), LOL! But I WANT those pesky seams to lay flat. I finger press & as I put blocks together I have the seams nest as I complete the sewing. Every once in a while one will flip but that mostly doesn't bother me.

Gina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not too fussy about flat, but twisted seams I am kind of OCD about! I always make myself fix them.