Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Saturday hellos

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday hellos

Good morning,

The sun is out, at least for the morning. We are expecting rain and t-storms later, remnants of the southern storms coming our way.

Yesterday I pieced the back, sandwiched the musical quilt and did a lot of stabilizing with SITD. Probably this afternoon, if it rains , I will continue quilting doing FMQ.

I also did over an hour's worth of yardwork. I focussed on one small area which has yucca plants, cutting back the winter kill. I will work in small sections of the beds at a time, so that I don't throw out my back. We have a big yard, and the weeds aren't going anywhere. We have many shrubs that need to be taken out. Small and steady and I will get there is my new motto.

Enjoy your day. Stay safe and clear from Mother Nature's bad moods.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

2. Thanks Monique, sewbizzy, baslp thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Saturday hellos

Good Morning Suzanne and those who follow,

It's beautiful here, 94 expected for the high. The wild fires are still burning north of us on the other side of the Dames Point Bridge. They're expecting flare ups over the weekend. I wish some of that rain would head down here!

Jim was impressed with the sprinkler guys that he called. So I'll get the information from him and have them come check out our system. I'm wondering if they'd put in a well! It would be nice to water without having to worry about the water bill that goes with it!

I turned on my Husky yesterday! It felt wonderful doing a small project. What ever possessed me to start with a stinkin' zipper and hand sewing, I'll never know, but it came out fine. One more SS checked off the list. I'm so thankful I started the year with lots of ideas for several of the projects. I didn't feel bad about not being able to do anything for almost 2 whole months. I need to finish up December's quilting, and see if I'm able to cut the binding. I'm just starting to press down on my hand in therapy. It will come!

No ideas of what's happening this weekend other than practicing my PT exercises and alternating epsom salt soaks and ice.

We've come up with an idea to scare off the squirrels. Mike has Nerf guns that shoot off little yellow sponge balls. He's hit the squirrels a few times, so they know it will pop them but not like a bb or pellet gun. They've learned enough that when they see us heading to the sliding glass doors with the 'gun' they take off running. Even if I have to shoot, the bright yellow balls are pretty easy to pick out of the sand and grass in the back yard.

Our neighbors are moving, and the guy that mows the yard is moving into their house. I hope it's a good fit. He seems like a really nice guy, but I don't know that much about him really. We'll see.

Happy Memorial Day weekend! Be safe on the roads if you're traveling. Be safe in this nutty weather we've been having.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique, sewbizzy, baslp thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning all. Beautiful sunny clear weather to start the day; it's supposed to make it up to 76. I've got a good sized to-do list to tackle today before I start sewing. Besides, it's too pretty out to stay inside. First up we're headed out to pick up a dining table and chairs we found on Facebook Marketplace. I've been looking for a gently used, good quality dining set for over a year so today is the day. Then the deck is calling my name...it needs to be washed and all the furniture needs a good scrubbing. Once that all dries we'll open the awning. If there's time, I'd like to work on my new (old) treadle cabinet that I bought a couple of weeks ago. The cabinet is in excellent shape but there's a lot of oil and grime that needs to be cleaned off.
    If I have any gas left I'll head to the sewing room to work the 160 pinwheels for my 2 quilts in progress. I love making them...I have to stop and admire each block cause they're so darned cute. I had a couple of charms of Mama's Cottage and the prints are so sweet.
    Anywho...hope you have good weather where you are and a nice weekend too.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique, sewbizzy, baslp thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning ~ We have sunshine, too. Yay! It was so nice to see the sun yest. The temp. made it up to 80 deg. It's supposed to be just as nice today. I have DH's Anasazi beans on to cook. I cook 3 pkgs. at a time so I don't have to do it quite so often. It makes 11 freezer containers.

I accepted the estimate to have our flower bed yard work done; it's scheduled for the 31st. I'll be glad to have it done. I just can't keep up with all the yard work any more. Especially since my carpal tunnel surgery. I'll keep a few others which I'm not ready yet to give up.

I watched another Donna Jordan tutorial last night. It's one that came in my daily e-mail. If I remember correctly, it was called Color Crystals, which she made with Christmas fabrics. I've been thinking about which of my fabrics I could use for it. I really should not start a new project until I finish some of my UFOs.

Lady Bugs potluck yest. was good. There were 18 of us. We just take whatever we want to make. No one made any main dishes/entrees this time. It was all salads & desserts, but all yummy. The gal who hosted us has gone to clown school & is a clown at our local hosp. & also does other events. As I was driving west towards home, the panorama of the Rocky Mts. was so beautiful. Lots of fresh snow on the higher peaks.

Well, I need to get on with my day. Enjoy the holiday week end & stay safe.

8. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique, sewbizzy, baslp thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning.

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I hit the post button to soon. We are going to have a quiet weekend. I am meeting a friend for lunch and then I want to finish the last few blocks of the quilt . Although I may save those for tomorrow. It is suppose to heat up around here.

Have a nice ho.iday weekend.
    Beth.

12. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon everyone. Saturday mornings are the group walk and breakfast. The slowpokes (me and one friend) did just shy of 4 miles while the others did 5. We had a long breakfast this morning at the local taco place. Lots of chit chat since we haven't all been there in a while. Stopped at the furniture restoration place and picked up DGD's rocker. It was my rocker as a child, and both of my children used it also. It was creaky, needing some TLC and refinishing. They did a good job.

I cancelled my July workshop that I had scheduled with Bonnie Hunter as the instructor. By the time I added airfare, meals, and hotel it was inching near $1K for a one day class. Just didn't make sense in my book, so I'll have to wait for her to be closer to me, or maybe I can go to Quiltville Inn as a filler, if she has retreaters that need an extra. At least that would be more like a vacation.

I've been bored, maybe burned out with my brother's quilt lately, so I may work on something else today. A friend gave me some pieces to a Grandma's fan quilt that her great aunt had started for her years ago, and passed before she could finish. Going to try to get the project done. Need to see if we have enough fabric to make it a queen. She has 28 fan blocks, so I'm hoping I can alternate it with solid blocks to make it into a larger quilt. Would like to get that done because her mother is not doing well and I know having this quilt finished would mean a lot to her mom.

Tomorrow evening DD will drop off the grandbaby for a sleepover, and I'll bring her home Monday afternoon after her nap. So that means no sewing once she gets here. Tonight, after it cools off a bit, I hope to plant some blue plumbago plants to replace a few dead ones.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

14. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, Monique, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing exciting happened here. There was an RCMP musical ride this afternoon nearby. We headed that way but the skies opened up and neither hubby or I wanted to stand in the rain so we came home. Apparently it stopped raining. Oh well I came home and had a nap instead.

I was cutting up white fabric into 5" and 10" squares. I wanted to experiment with Donna Jordan's curvaceous blocks so I started with a 10" square. Not very difficult to replicate the pattern to whatever size you want.

I am pretty well packed for retreat. Tomorrow will be a long day waiting as I can't be there before 6:30 pm.

Have a great long weekend my friends. Stay safe.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

16. Thanks Claire Hallman, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monique View Post
    Nothing exciting happened here. There was an RCMP musical ride this afternoon nearby. We headed that way but the skies opened up and neither hubby or I wanted to stand in the rain so we came home. Apparently it stopped raining. Oh well I came home and had a nap instead.

I was cutting up white fabric into 5" and 10" squares. I wanted to experiment with Donna Jordan's curvaceous blocks so I started with a 10" square. Not very difficult to replicate the pattern to whatever size you want.

I am pretty well packed for retreat. Tomorrow will be a long day waiting as I can't be there before 6:30 pm.

Have a great long weekend my friends. Stay safe.
    Have a great time, Monique!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

18. Thanks Monique thanked for this post