Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pounding seams flat with a rubber mallet

I always find it fun to watch someone else pounding seams flat with a rubber mallet. In this video Jamie Wallen gives important tips on what to do while pounding those seems flat to get the best results without damaging the quilt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-ohxNL6AdcU
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pounding seams flat with a rubber mallet

Huh!! I never saw anybody do this to a quilt before! Maybe this is mainly for long arming? I only quilt by hand and so far have never had to physically attack any of my quilts but there could be a first time for everything LOL

3. Thanks auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good tip. I love how he thinks of vacuuming the floor as an after thought.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of pounding a seam. At times I have a lot of seams that are thick and need something. Do any of you use this method?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMP View Post
    I've never heard of pounding a seam. At times I have a lot of seams that are thick and need something. Do any of you use this method?
    I have pounded seams flat with a rubber mallet only four times. I only do it when I have more than 8 thicknesses of fabric, like at the center of a star intersection. It scares me to pound on my quilt top with a rubber mallet.

I did not know you were supposed to spray it with starch first. Makes sense though.

It definitely made a much flatter seam.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Huh!! I never saw anybody do this to a quilt before! Maybe this is mainly for long arming? I only quilt by hand and so far have never had to physically attack any of my quilts but there could be a first time for everything LOL
    I'm with you on this.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes. Never heard of this. I wonder if the M *people curse all I don’t know.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Using a hammer on seam intersections is nothing new. I don't know if it originated in garment construction or not, but I use it on bulky seams. Underarm seam joints, pants crotch joints, and hem to inner leg seams, especially in denim fabrics. Occasionally I use it in quilt construction where a seam intersection refuses to flatten out. I open all seams so it isn't often, but there are some that just refuse to cooperate.

I differ from Jamie Wallen's recommendation on the rubber mallet thing. The head is simply too big to accurately direct the "hit." I use a small upholstery tack hammer (not the magnetic end.) It's shape is perfectly crowned. I see the rubber hammer potentially doing more harm than a good metal hammer. Another great hammer would be a small bumping hammer used in auto body repair, or a small hard plastic hammer. Anything but a big rubber mallet.

I recall a tip I read somewhere. I found it in a Nancy Zieman book of sewing tips from the '90s. I'm sure it's been used way before that.
    No- I'm not the test dummy for your dog's behavioral training class.