Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: new member

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default new member

hi my name is Linda I am 65 ,disabled so i do not get out much ,i want to make new friends and
    learn to quilt I have brain problems so i cannot understand a lot so i ask questions.
    I was born in St louis and I met my husband at Famous Barr downtown so i am still a missourian
    by heart I hope to make new friends and learn to quilt look forward to hearing from you LInda

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: new member

Hello Linda and welcome to the Forum from Wisconsin! I see your post turned up in a couple diff places, but that you are looking for something easy to make.
    1. Plain old patchwork is probably the easiest, you just sew squares together in rows and then sew the rows together. The only thing to remember is your squares need to be the same size, all 4 inches, or all 6 inches, etc.

2. A 9-patch is very easy. Again your squares need to all be the same size. Sew 3 squares togerher into one row and set aside.Sew 2 more rows of 3 squares together. Last sew row 1 to row 2, and row 3 to 2. Your finished block will be 3 squares across by 3 squares down. People often alternate colors in their 9 patches 1 light next to 1 dark and then reverse the order of dark and light for the next row. There's no right or wrong, whatever looks good to you.

3. Pinterest has loads of ideas and pictures.

4. Jenny Doan has lots of quilting tutorials on the Missouri Star Quilt Co website and also a free app. Her directions are always very easy to follow and her videos are fun to watch.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Linda, Welcome to the bunch from sunny Florida.

A 9 patch would be an easy pattern for hand sewing.

I just finished a hand sewn quilt... it took years! I worked on it off and on. Right now, I'm waiting for my hand to finish healing ( grandma's grounded from climbing up on the step ladder) to bind it.

Ask away! There are a lot of friendly folks here that are on their quilting journey. So nice of you to join us.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Colorado. I hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from St. Louis! I so miss Famous Barr! Ask away, lots of very knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Alabama.

Although I pieced my first quilt on a machine, I did hand quilt it. I used precuts ( charm packs) and did a real simple design . There are a lot of beautiful charm packs available and sometimes they are the Daily Deal. Another option might be to take a beginners class somewhere like JoAnns or your local fabric shop.

Have fun quilting and welcome again to the forum
    Last edited by TMP; May 24th, 2019 at 09:17 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from Canada's capital. Enjoy your new journey into quilting.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.