Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default teaching a child to sew

My 8 year old granddaughter has been hand sewing for a while so I was thinking it might be time to graduate to a machine. Do you have experience teaching kids to sew? I was looking at a Singer Sewhandy machine...the model 20 from the 50's which is a child's handcrank. Should I even bother with that or just move ahead with an electric model? She lives out of state so I was planning on getting her started during her next visit then sending the machine home with her. I have a Featherweight...maybe that would be the way to go. Any advice?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: teaching a child to sew

I say go for an electric. We bought our granddaughters sewing machines. For the eight year old we bought a used, very basic, Singer machine for $100. It sews like a dream, she is able to change stitches, and she is learning how to sew and loving it. She wants to be a Fashion Designer. For the 11 year old we purchased a Pfaff for $300+, a very nice machine, again with multiple stitches, a workhorse. Our dealer told us it will last her a lifetime. She enjoys sewing, but doesn't really want to continue with the hobby. Find a nice used older machine as opposed to the "toy" machines which are tempting to purchase for a child. We bought one of those SewHandy machines for our first granddaughter years ago....did NOT hold up or do much at all. Just my opinion and experience.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

3. Thanks chelea, quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. Get a real machine. Goodwill and other thrift stores have good used older metal machines with lots of wear left. Around here they go from $15-$75. I bought a cheap Janome and it didn't last well and I know my DD bought one of the smaller Janomes and it just doesn't make for a great project. They will sew more if they have a good machine. Wouldn't you?

5. Thanks chelea thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like brother, I sew on a Bernina now but my back up is brother. My 16 year old sews and can manuiver without any issues. I would recommend a brother. They are work horses

7. Thanks chelea thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure but I think Kaylee was 8 or 9 when we bought her a sewing machine for Christmas. We got her a Singer at JoAnns around Christmas time that was a really good price. I also got her a month of sewing classes at a local shop. I only meant for her to take the month. She loved it and she ended up taking classes for 5 months . I would pick her up from school and she would be so excited. The lady that taught the class was awesome and there was only one other child in the class and they rarely came. I could have taught her but, with Kaylee she is more focused and will listen to a stranger before she does me.

9. Thanks cv quilter, chelea thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't there a basic machine called the Hello Kitty? I saw it at the dealer about two years ago and was in the $125 range I think.

11. Thanks chelea thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a good electric machine. . When my daughter was 6 she started taking classes at a LQS. They used Husquarvana for the Kids Can Sew program. It was great. She continue d with the teacher until university with the same teacher in her home. She made fabulous outfits and never complained about machine issues. On the other hand, I had a Singer which had been giving me issues since I had it. When the LQS closed, they offered the machines for sale. DD asked everyone that year for money for her birthday and Christmas. We chipped in and she got it. I used it for years when I made crafts for sale. She in her 30s and still has it. A workhorse that doesn't jam.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

13. Thanks cv quilter, chelea thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I can advise you to give your daughter a sewing machine for beginners. When my daughter got carried away, I made her a gift, she has been making me socks for 6 months. I chose first one from this top https://bestsewingmachinesguide.com/...for-beginners/

15. Thanks chelea thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This might go without saying since you yourself are an experienced sewer. But whatever machine you buy, either take a picture of it when you take it out of the box or write down the factory settings for everything that can be adjusted. Little kids will often fiddle with the dials while they say what does this thing do, and the settings get all out if whack from the get go.

17. Thanks chelea thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My DGD's mother got her a hand-crank machine and DGD used it for one project. Her mother's brother then got her a New Home/Janome Derby that is actually pretty good. He bought is so she could keep it at my house and learn to sew while visiting. It runs very slowly allowing her to be accurate. She is now working on a baby doll quilt now and is very excited. I imagine we will upgrade her in time more than likely with one of my older machines. It's a lot of fun sewing with her. She is such a grammie's girl.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

19. Thanks chelea, cv quilter thanked for this post