Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a new sewing lamp

My floor lamp bit the dust so I brought in a table lamp from another room, but the closest I can get it to my chair is on top of a bookcase about 4 feet away. It lights up the area but doesn't give me the direct light I want. My old one was just a floor lamp with a swing arm, not really for sewing. Looking for something to use in the LR to do hand sewing in my lap from my little swivel rocker. What do you use and why do you like it? I have the tiny bendy light from M but it is on my sewing machine right now, and even with a clamp it is kind of floppy and doesn't attach well to my chair and doesn't stay in position.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a new sewing lamp

I am thinking about a lamp for my sewing room, will watch for replies.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are you waiting a lamp on a stand or one that would fit on a table? I have two ottlites , one on a stand and one that sits beside my machine. I like these lamps because they have daylight light bulbs in them and for me it really helps. I have had mine for years and have never had to changed the bulbs. I believe I got them at JoAnn's its been so long I don't remember.

This is similar to my floor lamp:

https://www.joann.com/ottlite-high-d...0Lamps&start=1
    Last edited by TMP; May 20th, 2019 at 01:37 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ott lite. I have two:

https://www.joann.com/ottlite-high-d...2Blamp&start=1

Ikea also has some that give a really good light, but don't know if they come in a floor model or if you are near a store.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 Ikea Jansjo lamps, one for my sewing table and one floor lamp. They have LED bulbs, are nice and bright, they stay cool and last forever. The lamps themselves are very flexible so you can point the light exactly where you need it. They also have a very small footprint. Best of all, they're inexpensive. They're definitely a task lamp so won't add any light to your room.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Ott lite on my sewing table next to my machine. I love it but Ott lights can be expensive. I also have this floor lamp next to my cozy sewing chair (for handwork). It gives great light and at $39 it is much cheaper than Ott. I like that it is flexible and I can pull it closer or farther away. https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...1978668&ipos=1
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ott lights are very good. I've had mine for several years without changing the bulb....watch it burn out today...lol! My Janome machine has a pull-out LED light that's very helpful when sewing but also for a small distance around the machine. I prefer the light from the Ott light because it's easier on my eyes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an OTT light on my sewing table, an extra light attached to sewing machine, and a stand up fluorescent lamp which up lights the room. We also have an LED daylight in ceiling and DH has a floor OTT light over his sewing area.

In the other room, again same LED daylight in ceiling from Costco, and table LED lamps in the various work areas.

I think if you can get LED, these are longer lasting and quite reasonable in price now.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, check out their prices on Ott lights. Cheapest I have ever seen anywhere!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have three Otts. One is an old gooseneck floor lamp at least 15 years old, more like 20. I've changed the bulb once and wrapped the neck with tape because it got the limber neck. I still use it by my ironing board. I have one for hand sewing that can be used as a floor or table lamp and I have done it both ways. It may be 5 years old. I have a folding electric Ott for classes that does well too. My pride and joy is a Stella lamp. Mine is a table lamp that I am using as a clamp on for FMQ with my Juki. I have some kind on my cutting table that also clamps on, got it at an office supply store and does great.