Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now óoró

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for a new sewing lamp

Quote Originally Posted by LLLinda View Post
    I have three Otts. One is an old gooseneck floor lamp at least 15 years old, more like 20. I've changed the bulb once and wrapped the neck with tape because it got the limber neck. I still use it by my ironing board. I have one for hand sewing that can be used as a floor or table lamp and I have done it both ways. It may be 5 years old. I have a folding electric Ott for classes that does well too. My pride and joy is a Stella lamp. Mine is a table lamp that I am using as a clamp on for FMQ with my Juki. I have some kind on my cutting table that also clamps on, got it at an office supply store and does great.
    Wow I never even heard of this Stella brand. I looked it up and now I think that is what I want!! The reviews are all excellent, and I love that the light intensity is so adjustable. One more question: when the neck is fully extended does the lamp tip over, or is the base heavy enough to prevent that? That was a frequently mentioned drawback on the Ott lite so I just wondered. Thank you so much for the recommendation, and thanks to everyone else who took the time too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The sewing lamp that I use it one that my mom picked up at a sale. It has places for 5 light bulbs and each one is on a bendable arm. You can adjust how many are on - 2, 3 or all 5. The only draw back to it is the shade covers are in tones of pink and purple. So it is not something that I use for picking out fabric colors. I do love how I can put the light where I want it and adjust the brightness.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I like the Ott lights. I have the tall floor lamp behind
    my sewing table. Gives great light to cut/sew by.
    I have a small Ott light that I use when I bind
    my quilts, it folds down for storage and provides
    great light. Iíve had both mine for years and never
    changed the bulbs.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My LQS uses the Stella table lamps for her classes and I have yet to see one fall over. I don't recall that they have extension necks but mine was bought a few years back. Might be so now. Be sure to ask for a demo. You will absolutely love the clarity of the light.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amartin24 View Post
    I have an Ott lite on my sewing table next to my machine. I love it but Ott lights can be expensive. I also have this floor lamp next to my cozy sewing chair (for handwork). It gives great light and at $39 it is much cheaper than Ott. I like that it is flexible and I can pull it closer or farther away. https://www.menards.com/main/lightin...1978668&ipos=1
    Someone (perhaps on here?) had recommended this light from Menards as it is comparable to the Stella but much cheaper. I love it!
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love the bright natural light from my Ott, it's small and too expensive. The one I got doesn't have a tall enough base/neck so it really is just a small task light. Anything else (even with coupons and sales) would be too expensive for me.

I went the Ikea route and love it - I bought a clamp-on TERTIAL for $13 and use a bright LED bulb in it. It doesn't get hot, the bulb will last longer than I will, and I can put it anywhere. I ended up eventually getting three - one clamped to the top of a tall bookcase and shining down over my ironing board, one on the side near my sewing machine that I can either aim down onto the table or pull towards me so it can look more into my lap (when I'm seam ripping, this is very helpful). The third I was able to mount over the top of my cutting table and I can move it around a bit to both get great visibility on my rulers when I'm cutting but also make minor adjustments to avoid the glare off the ruler when I'm making repeated cuts in a certain position.

Best of all, when I move the furniture around I can always find different places to clamp the base and change the lighting to match my new setup. I have them connected to a power strip (an extension cord was needed for the farthest) and then I leave them individually turned on then I use the switch on the power strip to "turn on" all the lights at once.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I need more lighting for handwork so this has been helpful. Thanks everyone.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 Ottlights and I agree that they are great! I've had them for several years, use them almost daily and have not had to change a bulb yet. One clamps on my sewing table and another is a floor lamp with a very bendy, adjustable neck. You could sit it right beside you and arrange it to shine right where you need it. I use mine beside the table where I have my embroidery machine or I move it beside a chair if I am hand sewing. Ott also makes some small portable lights that I have seen ladies bring to retreats. They are quite pricey but well worth it in my opinion because of the way they have held up for me. I lucked out and got them at Joann's for a Black Friday special at a buy one, get one free price. Good luck!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I double checked my Stella and no it does not stretch. It swivels from the base. Also the head can be tilted. Aren't cheap but if your eyes need more help than a regular lamp will give then this is the way to go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 LED lights over the sewing area from my DSM. For additional lighting, I have just a goose neck desk lamp which sits behind my mach. & shines on the work area. With the top of my mach. lifted up, it blocks any glare from the bulb. I think I paid only $7.95 for it at Walmart. I also have a floor goose neck lamp which lights up my table LA area. I don't know where we bought it or when. It was in DH's hobby room; he no longer uses it, so I possession of it for quilting. I can't justify paying the price for Ott lights.