• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redcaboose1717
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2011

Can I rant a little?

Hi,
    For starters, I am getting better and better every day! Of course, maybe this is why I would like to tell y'all about this recent situation that has me really uptight/upset.

I normally lease cars for 24-36 months. The last SUV I leased was a Ford C-Max....and I loved it. For the entire length of the 39 month lease, because it was a Hybrid, the cost of the gas for those months was UNDER $300!! I really liked the Hybrid. This is a car that you will run on Electric (batteries) or gasoline. The car usually will run on the battery if you are just tooling around town.....which for most of the time except for trips to the hospital 30 miles away is how this SUV was driven for the most part.

Okay....so here's the issue...and while it probably isn't a big deal, but, I would like to know what most of you would do in this situation.

It was time to turn the car back in this month, and I, of course, choose to turn the auto in and lease another from Ford Motor Co. I There was a good deal on the 2019 Ford Fusion SE which is a Hybrid and this one charges itself, you don't have to plug it in overnight (or if you choose to purchase a charger that will charge your car within 2-3 hours that's okay too, but we just plugged it in to the Electrical Outlet in the garage.
    Anyway this Fusion SE charges itself.

Now, here's the issue I am slightly upset with.

Most car companies have a this new Copper or Bronze Exterior Color. They've had these since 2014-2015.
    In 1974, I purchased a Mustang II Ghia model that was a beautiful shade of what Ford Motor Company at the time called "Saddle Bronze". I loved that color and have regretted getting rid of that car for 42 yrs!

When I got the Ford C-Max, this color wasn't available on that model SO I asked for a WHITE CAR WITH TAN interior. The SALESMAN ignored me and told me "Look, I have Black, Kona Blue & Grey Exterior with Blackc Interior. Take your pick.....ohhhh.....I wasn't happy.
    I ended up with a color called Kona Blue (it's Navy actually) and Black interior.
    Fast FOWARD 3 yrs, 6 months.
    Now, when we were shopping for this car, I did a lot of it on the phone because I wasn't up feeling to par to be going to the dealerships etc. I told the salesman I wanted a BRONZE color EXTRIOR...(and due to the fact that FORD has 4-5 models with VARIATIONS of this color) I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. I also asked for TAN interior......
    WELL.....The color (exterior) I got was a DARK BURGUNDY.....but if you have it in the sunlight, it looks DARK COPPER colored. I asked for TAN interior....and GOT BLACK INTERIOR.
    Here in Michigan, you have 72 hours to return the auto if you change your mind. I did call the saleman, but he chose to IGNORE me. I probably should have taken the car BACK or REFUSED it all together when the papers were signed, due to the fact that the saleman didn't bring the car up for me to look at UNTIL the papers were signed.
    I had a feeling this is something this salesman has pulled on Purchasers/Leasees before.
    This is the color of the car I now have :

Tell me....this is an ad for this car ON THE FORD MOTOR CO. Site.....To me, this is a completely different color :

So, I guess the next time the lease is up I'm probably going to get a little NASTY with some UNSUSPECTING Saleperson. (Of course I will explain to him/her what had happened not ONCE but TWICE before and TRUST me, if this happens AGAIN, I'll rip up the deal in front of the next salesperson!!

I realize my last sentence was maybe a little harsh and I talk a good game.....otherwise this wouldn't have happened the second time around would it?

So, what would you do? Would you talk to the General Manager? We have to go back to the dealership to pick up the 2nd set of keys.(they weren't sent with the car).

Sorry for rambling/ranting.....Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this problem???

Smiles,

Sugar/Jacqueline
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"
  • jjkaiser
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: Can I rant a little?

Cars are so expensive these days there is NO reason you should settle for anything less than what you asked for. Plus you are in the driver's seat, the dealer wants to make a sale. I would not have accepted the car in the wrong color. If they wouldn't make it right well I bet that isn't the only Ford dealer in town. I would have threatened to go elsewhere, demanded the contract back, and walked out. Trust me that salesman would have been calling you on the phone before you even got home!! You have nothing to lose at this point by appealing to the manager. Stand your ground. I understand what a PITA getting a car is, I just did that 3 months ago and the paperwork takes forever. But if the color matters that much to you I would still try to get them to change it. And stress that it was their mistake in the first place.
    Jocelyn
    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• KPH
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2015

I would start local, but go straight to Ford and tell their complaint dept about the bait and switch tactics being used by the dealership. I'd fill out a report with the BBB. If you don't start seeing results from that, there's always the TV consumer reporters that are always looking for a good story.
      Katrina
      From NC, retired in FL
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

• Deegles
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2014

I am no expert, but clearly these are different paints. They have a similar name, but the main difference being one is the top coat, which has a basecoat that makes the color look copperish. I always drive the car to ensure it fits my ergonomics. If you still have time I would take it back. But anytime signing a contract you have to keep the salesman honest (if that is possible). I hate to hear you had this problem. Look on the inside of the drivers door. It should list the paint finish there. If it clearly states the different color.....pitch a fit in front of other customers. Show others how dishonest they are.
        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Deegles
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2014

Oh and go on their website and build the car you want. Sometimes exterior color are not available with all interior colors.
          Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

• KarenC
            Missouri Star
            • Apr 2015

I agree with others, stand your ground. I have walked out of a dealership before because of how the salesperson treated me. It was amazing how quickly the manager called me to find out what happened. I did agree to go back and purchase the car for a lower price, under the condition that I work with a different salesperson and she get full credit for the sale. Buying or leasing vehicles is just frustrating.
            Karen
            Spring, TX

Comment

• K. McEuen
              Super Moderator
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2011

I don't know if you have as much choice in ordering what you want when you lease or if you have to take what the dealer has to offer.

I had a car in 1986, that when we bought it, we told the guy we want the brown one in the showroom. He looked and looked for the brown one (there were less than 10 cars in the showroom) Turns out the car was really, really dark red. The sun had to hit it just right for it not to look brown to most people.
              K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2011

Karen, you pretty much can't order cars as we used to when I was a teen.I purchased my first brand-new Ford Mustang II (this Mustang II is what got me loving these Bronze colors!!!) I have waited for 3 1/2 yrs to be able to purchase a bronze exterior car....and I SHOULD have took one look at the saleman and said "No....this isn't what we discussed. If you can't get what I want, then I'll go somewhere else."
                I honestly don't think you can "order" cars like we used to in the '70s-'80s. In 1989 I purchased my 2nd "off the lot" car.(the first was the Mustang II Ghia I purchased) At least it isn't that way in Michigan as far as I know. The dealerships order cars with colors that people tend to like (White Exterior & Tan Interior is one of the biggest sellers for the 55+ age group according to some info I read last year.
                Thanks, Karen...

I honestly think that there's a lot of people like me that when they are caught off guard, they do the thing they CLAIM they would never do. I should have said something.....

Actually Karen, this was one of the things the saleman said to me when I raised my eyebrows in the parking lot "When the sun hits this car....it's more Bronze." Yeah, right. LOL!

BTW....I have leased since 2004 and so I have leased 5 cars since 2004 and this is only the 2nd time I have had issues like this with a salesperson. You get to pick what you want even in a lease agreement. The car I ended up with that's in my garage actually came from a dealership 35-40 miles from my home.
                A lot of these dealerships trade vehicles for not only purchases but leases too. Leasing is more of a trend nowadays. A lot of people (like me) like leasing. As long as the car isn't damaged in any serious fashion(the lease allows for normal wear and tear) all you do is take the car back when the lease is up, hand them the keys, and leave. You are under no obligation to purchase an auto or do another lease with the same dealership if you don't want to. It's really simple and easy to lease. You have no worries about the maintenance of the car other than oil changes, brake & possibly tires (although I have never had to purchase tires prior to a lease's end) and regular maintenance you would normally do. If there's something seriously wrong with the car the auto maker/dealership takes care the problem.
                Last edited by redcaboose1717; May 20, 2019, 03:00 AM.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                  Cars are so expensive these days there is NO reason you should settle for anything less than what you asked for. Plus you are in the driver's seat, the dealer wants to make a sale. I would not have accepted the car in the wrong color. If they wouldn't make it right well I bet that isn't the only Ford dealer in town. I would have threatened to go elsewhere, demanded the contract back, and walked out. Trust me that salesman would have been calling you on the phone before you even got home!! You have nothing to lose at this point by appealing to the manager. Stand your ground. I understand what a PITA getting a car is, I just did that 3 months ago and the paperwork takes forever. But if the color matters that much to you I would still try to get them to change it. And stress that it was their mistake in the first place.
                  Thanks.....I am going to talk to the General Manager of the dealership tomorrow when we pick up the 2nd set of keys. Trust me, I thought all the "griping" I did with the C-Max Ford would have given me my way.....but they didn't,they ignored me. I even told this current saleman the problems I had and I stressed about what I wanted.....???

I don't think anyone likes purchasing OR leasing cars, although leasing is usually a lot simpler than a purchase.

The color shouldn't make that much of a difference I suppose...but for some reason I have waited for 46 YEARS to get another car similar to the first Bronze car I had. I was tickled pink (I should have asked for a Pink car! ) when I found out several of these auto makers were coming back out with Bronze Exterior colors ( I have seen some Yellow cars again as well, which is a color we normally haven't seen for a while as an Exterior Color.)
                  Here's a laugh...my BIL offered to go to the HARDWARE STORE and buy some SPRAY CANS of Bronze Color Paint....LOL! My sister though that was hilarious.
                  (Actually I should have the disposition my sister Susan has.....she would have never let a saleman walk all over her like this. Trust me, by the time she gave him "what for" that salesman wouldn't soon forget her!!!) I just don't do things like Susan would do.....I never have.

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                    I would start local, but go straight to Ford and tell their complaint dept about the bait and switch tactics being used by the dealership. I'd fill out a report with the BBB. If you don't start seeing results from that, there's always the TV consumer reporters that are always looking for a good story.
                    Actually I think your suggestion is a good one. Most of these car salespeople that do this type of stuff that was done to us have done pretty much the same thing previously to someone else.
                    You're right....this was a complete BAIT & SWITCH tatic....plain and simple.

Will keep y'all posted....Thanks so much!!

Comment

• redcaboose1717
                      Missouri Star
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Deegles View Post
                      Oh and go on their website and build the car you want. Sometimes exterior color are not available with all interior colors.
                      That's true (about certain models not offering certain colors) about different models. The first model of the FUSION didn't offer the Copper color...but the other 3 models do. ALL of the models offer either BLACK or WHITE STONE (basically it's light tan) with this model of Fusions. The model above the one I lease is a SEL and it offers a bronze/black leather interior.
                      ************************************************** ****************************************
                      I also told this guy that if he couldn't get me the Bronze color I wanted the Ford EcoSport came in a similar Bronze Exterior Color.
                      This Bronze Color is lighter (you can also get it on the new Ford Ranger Trucks as well) Its callled "Saber"

Again, thanks for all the comments/support.....those of you who have commented at least made me feel better!

Comment

• Monique
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2011

I would make a stink about it. Make the salesperson feel as small as they made you feel.
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

• Claire Hallman
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jun 2011

Car salesmen are such MEN. They have historically dealt with the man of the house and tend to ignore the "little women".
                          It is terribly maddening. I am a little hotheaded and would have handed back the keys and torn up the contract. Can you still do that?
                          Claire from Pelham, Alabama

Comment

• MaggieSue
                            Missouri Star
                            • Sep 2015

I am of the opinion that bait and switch occurred. I think using those words have an impact, as I believe that is against the law. Perhaps take Susan with you if that is possible.

Comment

• TMP
                              Missouri Star
                              • Apr 2014

I probably would have walked out and not excepted the car. I would take my business to another car dealership. Getting colors the customer wants is not asking for too much . Am I reading this correct that it happen twice to you?
                              Teresa
                              Pelham, Alabama
                              War Eagle!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X