Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flannel remnants

Hi forum friends! I need ideas to use up flannel remnants. All this flannel is from Joann store. The pieces and colors vary widely, from wilderness to cats with googley eyes. It seems a waste to throw out - some are strips that about 4 x 12, and others are about 21 x 11. Does anyone here have ideas for me to use these for ? Or how about a place to donate to?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Flannel remnants

What I have done is to cut it into strips and sew them together into a waste basket quilt. decide how wide you want it. make the strips that long and sew it together. Homeless shelters would love to get the quilts. Put a thin batting in between and back it with flannel.
    Debbie

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Debbie! That sounds like a good idea. Waste basket quilt is a new name for me. LOL Is that your fun take on scrappy or is that what you call it in Ohio?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would cut sashing from a solid and do squares like an eye spy. I combine different fabrics all the time, I do not prewash anything and never had issues. Regardless if you donate it, should be pleasing to the eye in my personal opinion.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cut into strips the width of the fabric and then join both ends to form a "tube". Then cut across the strips into 4 to 6" sections. Lay them out side by side an start removing the seam between each consecutive row.

This tutorial shows it better than I can explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL2j1f9j-PA
    Donna

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

you could cut into 2 1/2"x5" rectangles for "bricks" and join them into rows.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

The ladies at my church make hygiene kits for women in Africa. We support a medical center and the women line up by the hundreds to get them!! Our church goes to the clinic 4 times a year The center absorbent part of the pad is made of layers of flannel. If you decide not to make a quilt from them, I will pay the shipping for them and give them to our seamstresses at church

8. Thanks dwil23, sydneybean thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

It is call a waste basket quilt because all the pieces go into a box and you pull out the pieces and sew them together in whatever order they come out. Yes you are correct now it is called a scrappy quilt.
    Debbie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Shiny Happy World website. They have a some cute simple stuffed toys that you could possibly make with your flannel scraps.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a box of flannel squares 5 inches mostly plaids. If your church can use then, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltoppins View Post
    The ladies at my church make hygiene kits for women in Africa. We support a medical center and the women line up by the hundreds to get them!! Our church goes to the clinic 4 times a year The center absorbent part of the pad is made of layers of flannel. If you decide not to make a quilt from them, I will pay the shipping for them and give them to our seamstresses at church

12. Thanks Ltoppins thanked for this post