Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default possiblw move - TN or FL

Hello all. Hubby and I have decided that in the next few years we'd like to move. He's been looking at Eastern Tennessee and Northern Florida.

Anyone live in/near either and can give some names of towns to look at or to avoid? I've been doing research but would like opinions from people in the area.

Any and all help is greatly appreciate. Normally, we would rent a place and scope everything out However, we have three dogs so when we move we need to buy a place - renting with my beasts is not an option.

Thanks in advance!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: possiblw move - TN or FL

I live in Jacksonville, FL. There are lots of areas that are nice, while there are just as many that are questionable. Jax. is huge, which means long travel times to go just about anywhere.

I'd visit anywhere you think you might like and stay a week, and really explore that area.

We moved here because of Jim's family and there are other benefits of living in the city, but my heart would love to be back in the country.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Johnson City TN if you like outdoor activities. We were impressed with our visit there when looking for retirement destinations.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would choose TN over FL. Too many hurricanes in FL. I have family in the Sevierville - Pigeon Forge area. It's a very touristy place with lots to see & do. Gatlinburg is not that far away, also Smoky Mountain National Park. My bro. used to hike in the Park frequently. If you like southern gospel music, many gospel singers hold concerts in that area. Dollywood is a great place to visit. There are about 10 different show venues in that area. TN has all 4 seasons, but winters are mild.

I suggest you get on the web & "explore" & read up about any areas in which you're interested. You can review real estate & all that now with just letting your finger tips do the walking. Google & Google Earth are wonderful tools.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Johnson City has a story teller event each year that is awesome. We happened upon it and were amazed.
    I love eastern Tennessee and I don't think they have personal income tax.
    I love Florida, too but prefer to have seasonal changes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Being from Tampa, I would agree with Claire about the seasonal changes in Tennessee. Both places can be very HOT in the summer. Tennessee would have more cold in the winter, so it depends on whether you are more heat tolerant or cold tolerant. As far a bad weather, we occasionally have a hurricane but not every year. The panhandle is affected more than the center of the state. I believe Tennessee has more tornadoes. With a hurricane, you have days of warning, not so much with a tornado.

If you do decide to look in Florida, I would suggest starting with the Ocala area - some beautiful horse country. It's on I-75 about an hour and 15 minutes north of Tampa. Gainesville is about 30 miles north and is home to University of Florida and the Shands Medical center - a teaching hospital on campus. They also have a cutting edge veterinary teaching hospital there. And of course a famous mouse resides about an hour to the east, and not too far to get to the beaches.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I live in western NC and am on the eastern border of TN. The mountains are beautiful. I think it will depend on your interests. If you like out doors, TN is going to have hiking and hunting and sports. Johnson City is home to ETSU so its a college town, Jonesboro is the home of the story tellers and is very small town atmosphere, Uniquoi is very small and has several festivals, very close to Johnson City, Erwin Is on the Eastern border and has quite a few amenities for a small town and is very close to Johnson City. On the western side of Johnson City you have Bristol where the motor speedway is, Elizabethton , and Grey. There is a regional airport over there. If you really want rural there is Flagpond TN where there is nothing and you would be 50 miles east of Johnson City.
    Now, like Joy said, going further west you have Sevierville (Dolly wood country), Gatlinburg (=outlets), Pigeon Forge (tourists). You have Clingmans Dome and lots of other points of interest, beautiful scenery and these are all just a few miles east of Knoxville.

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We lived just off of Amelia Island in Fernandina, FL for two years and I loved it! The only reason I moved was to be closer to my three sisters in South Carolina. We love it here too, but my time in northern Florida was wonderful and I would go back in a heartbeat! Amelia Island is a charming place with a lovely downtown that is like a slice of Americana. The beaches are lovely and the folks are warm and welcoming. You might want to check it out if beaches and islands are your thing.

All the best with your move!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grammaterry View Post
    I live in western NC and am on the eastern border of TN. The mountains are beautiful. I think it will depend on your interests. If you like out doors, TN is going to have hiking and hunting and sports. Johnson City is home to ETSU so its a college town, Jonesboro is the home of the story tellers and is very small town atmosphere
    OOps, wrong name.
    Terry has a great description of the area. The Cleveland area of Tn is beautiful, also.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I moved to NE Tenn 3 years ago from CT. We love it here. Greeneville area. Winters are mild (compared to CT) and when it does get cold - it doesn't last for long. We are maybe 35 minutes from Johnson City, less to Jonesboro. 2 quilt shops in Jonesboro (The Sewing Bee and Tennessee Quilts) and 1 in Johnson City (Bernina). We are maybe an hour from Sevierville. No income tax which was the big plus as we are now retired. LOTS of really nice people. If you like to fish - we are maybe 30 minutes from Cherokee Lake, and 45 - 50 minutes to Douglas Lake. That's only 2 of the lakes - lots more not really far. As Gramma Terry said - very close to the state parks , mountains. This side of the state does not have many tornadoes.