Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: possiblw move - TN or FL

I didn't see this earlier. I live in Maryville, TN. We are 20 miles south of Knoxville which has University of TN, and lots of shopping and entertainment. We are 20 miles from the entrance to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the most visited park in the US. We are 30 miles from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg (and Dollywood). We are 3 hours from Nashville, 2 hours from Asheville, NC, and 4 hours from Atlanta. Maryville lies in the valley between the Cumberland Mountains and the Smokies.

Maryville has about 35,000 people. We have a small 4 year liberal arts college which draws students from everywhere.

We have lived in TN since 1969 when the Navy sent us to Memphis. Stay out of west TN! We moved here 27 years ago. We do have hot summers, but not like FL. Last winter we had snow one time, 2 inches, which was gone by noon. We rarely have tornados. The mountains protect us. I can remember 3 in the area in the last 27 years, none in Maryville. Come on down, sit on my back porch and look at the beautiful mountains. Most of our friends are from somewhere else!

TN has no income tax except on dividends. Property taxes are low. Sales tax is high. Utilities are low. Gasoline is the 6th cheapest in the US. OK, I'll hush! I promise I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce!

2. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would choose TN over FL. TN is a gorgeous state and the cost of living is affordable.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My dh went to school at the Univ of Tenn at Knoxville so we lived there for a number of years. It is beautiful and the weather is nice esp in the winter. Traffic in the summer can be horrendous bc of all the tourists trying to get to the Smokies. (You will be so sick of the color orange everywhere, and life comes to a complete stop any time there is a U.T. Football game. Have never seen such maniac football fans.) Maryville is simply gorgeous, the views of the mountains will take your breath away. Mostly I remember spending weekends painting signs and protesting against the nearby Oak Ridge Nuclear Power Plant. Oh the things you do in your 20's!!! It was fun though.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, there has been some great info! Some of the TN cities/towns I knew about but others I did not. Will be doing a ton more research (been painting the living room..so much prep work to cover the wallpaper!)

I'm originally from New York, then moved here to Virginia so I love the fall colors - although my property has so many dang pine trees it's sometimes difficult to find fall colors. As for all the orange in TN you say? My favorite color is orange. I now need to go to TN post haste! Summer traffic - here everyone is going south to Virginia Beach. It can be a nightmare on 95.

Florida, -I wouldn't mind living there either. I'll be researching the places mentioned.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have no advice to give at all. However, we are traveling to Tennessee this week for my daughter’s wedding on Saturday. Woohoo! Reading everything you have to say because we are traveling to eastern Tennessee and NC (Asheville) next week. Sorry, I couldn’t resist hijacking your post. I really am taking notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana View Post
    I have no advice to give at all. However, we are traveling to Tennessee this week for my daughter’s wedding on Saturday. Woohoo! Reading everything you have to say because we are traveling to eastern Tennessee and NC (Asheville) next week. Sorry, I couldn’t resist hijacking your post. I really am taking notes.
    Not hijacking...research! I'd love to hear about your travels when you return.

And my congratulations to your daughter.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve lived in both states. After living in Florida (Miami, Orlando and Tampa areas) for about 30 years, I moved to Nashville. I didn’t care for it and came home to Florida after four years. Tennessee weather can be volatile - very hot (100+ degrees sometimes), to freezing at other times (to the point that my water main and garage doors froze). It gets hot in Florida but we have air conditioning everywhere and there’s usually a breeze. And I’ll take a hurricane over a tornado any day. Neither state has income tax but sales tax in Tennessee is 9+% on everything, including groceries. That can add up quickly! Florida sales tax is 7%-7.75%, depending on the county. There are some beautiful towns in north and central Florida and we have terrific medical facilities including Shands, Mayo Clinic, Moffitt, and more. I think property taxes were similar, comparing Nashville to Tampa or Venice (where I now live). Come on down! ��

Liz

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Patsquilting View Post
    My husband and I moved to NE Tenn 3 years ago from CT. We love it here. Greeneville area. Winters are mild (compared to CT) and when it does get cold - it doesn't last for long. We are maybe 35 minutes from Johnson City, less to Jonesboro. 2 quilt shops in Jonesboro (The Sewing Bee and Tennessee Quilts) and 1 in Johnson City (Bernina). We are maybe an hour from Sevierville. No income tax which was the big plus as we are now retired. LOTS of really nice people. If you like to fish - we are maybe 30 minutes from Cherokee Lake, and 45 - 50 minutes to Douglas Lake. That's only 2 of the lakes - lots more not really far. As Gramma Terry said - very close to the state parks , mountains. This side of the state does not have many tornadoes.
    Pat, you are making me have some very mixed emotions. I live in CT - home of some very high taxes, and getting a lot higher in the next two weeks (before the state Legislature adjourns). In addition, my sister lives in Nashville, and I have a brother in Memphis. So ET, while not super close to either of them, would surely put me within visiting distance! One of our sons lives in Lynchburg, VA, so that's not so far, either.

That said, my DH's entire family lives here in CT, as do 7 of our 10 children, so.... looks like I'm here for good. Don't get me wrong, I do love it here and am very close to DH's siblings, but I do miss my own family.