Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday Morning Hellos! :)

Good Morning ~ I can't believe no one has started today's thread yet, so here goes.

Much cooler weather today. After intermittent rain yest., it cleared last night. The full moon was setting in the west as I got up. The temp. was down to 41 deg.; there was light frost on the neighbor's roof. The furnace is on. Now it's cloudy. Another chance of rain. I'm hoping it will hold off till I get the pillows aired out on the line. Changing the bed today. Our spring weather can be so unsettled. DH said yest., "I'll never get used to the weather here." (We've lived here 40 yrs.) The extended forecast indicates low temps. could drop into the 30's, so it's still too soon for flower baskets for the patio. I'll play it safe.

Well, as this moment, my niece, her aunt, & friends are having the memorial service for my SIL. She'll call me tonight or tomorrow.

Our senior fellowship & lunch yest. was good. Our last one till next Oct. Different people shared their interests & hobbies. I displayed several of my quilts. I took 3 tote bags. One woman had been a clown at the hosp. One woman has been writing her life story & is willing to hold a class on a how-to. It's something I've always wanted to do -- one of those many things on my bucket list, including updating family genealogy. Quilting sort of took over my life! ~ lol ~ Of course, caregiving takes up my time, too. I also do a lot of reading.

The skies were dark & threatening as I headed out after our sr. lunch for the groc. store. It rained while I was in the store, but barely was sprinkling when I came out. I nixed my other 2 errands & went directly home. DH was getting anxious b/c I wasn't home yet. After I got home, it started to rain again, so I lucked out. I had bought beets, so I spent the rest of the afternoon cooking up 2 large kettles of beets, then preparing them for the freezer.

Well, I need to eat my breakfast & check the laundry. I hope everyone has a good day & week end.

2. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Saturday Morning Hellos! :)

Good morning! We have sun at the moment but the storms are suppose to come in later today. It's spring time in the Midwest so it could be sun one moment and storm with a tornado the next. The weather has been nice where we can be outside because the temperatures have came up but the wind is blowing which keeps 92 degree bearable.

I think that I will head to the sewing room later today. Not sure which project I want to work on but I will figure out one.

Have a great Saturday everyone

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Joy and all who follow. Wow I love reading your daily temps there in Colorado, you get such wide variances, 30's at night then up to the 80's in the day! You must still need your winter jacket all year long. That's crazy. Here in Wis. we are finally warming up, 40's at night and low 50's during the day. Rained every day this week and trees are finally fluffy and green. Lilacs will be blooming in about two weeks. I love the smell of fresh lilacs, I just wish they wouldn't immed wilt if you try to bring some inside and put them in a vase.

My dh is gone today for a workshop put on by the Parks Dept on bumblebees. The last two years he retrieved eggs off of milkweed plants and brought them inside. Eggs hatched into caterpillars and then butterflies which he would release in the back yard. The GK loved that little experiment and we had hatching boxes all over the dining room. I don't know what the Bumblebee experiment will be but I hope they won't involve bringing any into the house!!

I am heading off into my sewing room now to see what I can get accomplished. Working on a Little Irish Chain quilt in pastels and cream. One more row and I will have reached the halfway point, yay! The blocks finish out at 1.5 inches. It's turning out really pretty and just the old fashioned vintage look I was going for. Haven't made up my mind on the backing fabric yet but will probably do unblch muslin, it is so nice to hand quilt. My only concern is running out of fabric for the top. I am not real good at estimating that but with 2 layer cakes and 10-ish FQ I think I will be okay. Have a good day.

6. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon,

I was peaking earlier this morning, but had to get ready. My DD was having a brunch for her MIL's sister who is visiting from Haiti.

DH is helping at the May Fly days. I was going to go all day, but decided I will go later this aft, as they are having a group dinner he thought I would like to attend. I felt I had too many things to do than sit around all day. It's in the middle of nowhere. So I washed and pressed the fabric & lining for a valence for a relative. I will cut it and prep to sew.

It's still pretty cool, and we're expecting more rain Sun-Mon. Oh spring, where are thou?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii'm Bringin' home a baby bumble bee

Won't my momma be so proud of me....

Oh the memories!

Using heat and ice more today, keeping the reps to 10... when I remember to count. lol

Washer is done. Have a great day!
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

9. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all.
    Haven't posted in a few days because I've been burning the candle at both ends. Spring has sprung and it's time for mowing, weed wacking and other outside activities. We planted vegetable seeds and we're waiting for the ground to dry enough to plant them.
    My faithful old iMac is failing so I took the plunge and bought a new windows computer. It's taken me over a week to get it all sorted out. We're planing a a big room renovation this summer, so I need to strip out all the woodwork and take out the rug. I've been cutting the rug out in pieces. The other night I got out of bed to close the window and tripped over the edge and fell. I'm sporting big black bruises on my butt and ribs. Thankfully nothing was really hurt, but I'm really sore.
    This morning started out by finding that one of our cats was sick...he seemed to have another bladder obstruction and we had to take him to a vet that had emergency services over an hour and a half away. He is a very sick boy but is well taken care of. This one came on so fast it was frightening. We'll be able to pick him up Monday, but in the meantime, I will miss my buddy.
    I'm so happy that the sun is shining. I'm refusing to cook tonight...I'm tired and frazzled If anyone goes hungry with all the food in the freezers, it's their fault.
    Oh crap big accident outside, gotta go.

11. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Barbara, we had a male cat who had repeated bladder issues until we put him on special food from the vet; I think it was from Science Brand, but it was meant for cats who have bladder problems. We also switched him to distilled water. The vet had our water tested at the U of Minn., and it came back with a lot of minerals in it. Anyway, he improved a lot after those two interventions.

13. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, he's been on special food and we pay close attention to his water intake. But he is now 13.

15. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon everyone. My group of walkers skipped our morning walk today, so I made myself get up and go to Weight Watchers meeting. Was over my goal again so had to pay. At least it was only one pound over, so I have incentive to stick with the program this week and get back below my goal. This was followed by a nice phone call with a dear friend I haven't seen in a while. 100 brought on the longarm quilt guild meeting. We had 11 of us in attendance. I can remember when there would be 20-30. This is probably the first time I have been in almost a year. Been puttsying (ok, don't know how to spell that) around the rest of the day, grocery shopping, working on a quilt while watching Quilt-cam with Bonnie Hunter, then decided to go to fabric store and get some more neutrals.

Came home with a Janome QS30. It's a used machine, but I got a good deal on it. It's mainly to take to classes and retreats, so I think I'll be happy with it. I'll use it on my next quilt to get familiar with it before my class in July. Now that I have it, I feel comfortable booking airfare for this class instead of spending 2 days each way driving. Now it's almost time to get ready for ldinner with another friend. Wow, it's been a busy day. I think I'll stay home tomorrow after church.

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the weekend.

17. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

JJ ~ The reason we have such wide fluctuations in temps. here is due to the thinner atmosphere. We live at just under 5,000 ft. above sea level. There can be a 30-50 deg. swing from low to high. It's funny, too, when we first moved here, we noticed sound did not carry as well, like from one room to the next. One also has to be more careful when outside to be sure to wear sunscreen, a hat, etc. to protect from the damaging sun's rays. DS#1 (age 52) already has had 2 skin cancer surgeries on his cheek. DH has had 2 skin cancer surgeries, one on his nose & one on his ear.

It actually made it up to 72 today. We had sun in the morning -- enough that I could air the pillows outside on the line, & sun this afternoon & eve. We had a rain shower mid-day. We have a frost advisory for tonight. It was snowing in the mts. today.

19. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post