Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default - Written patterns or not

I find reading written quilt patterns demoralizing. If I read
    132 of A
    132 of B
    66 of C. etc...
    I think, “Oh why even try.” Only once have I cut out all the pieces I needed in advance and I almost went crazy! Not only did I have to do 1 thing for a long time, but then I had to keep track of all those pieces! But I am a messy quilter. I like to cut about 10 pieces from fabric, work with those, and then go on. I work from an image and videos to get started. Pinterest has been great for me. How about you?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: - Written patterns or not

Quote Originally Posted by Old Newbie View Post
    I find reading written quilt patterns demoralizing. If I read
    132 of A
    132 of B
    66 of C. etc...
    I think, “Oh why even try.” Only once have I cut out all the pieces I needed in advance and I almost went crazy! Not only did I have to do 1 thing for a long time, but then I had to keep track of all those pieces! But I am a messy quilter. I like to cut about 10 pieces from fabric, work with those, and then go on. I work from an image and videos to get started. Pinterest has been great for me. How about you?
    I am the same way....I would rather look at a photo and figure out the pattern myself. That way I can add or take away what doesn't make sense!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

3. Thanks dwil23, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I learn best by watching the tutorials. It helps to have the PDF of the pattern on which to take notes as I watch the tut. I seldom cut all the quilt pieces ahead. I'm more of a block-by-block sewer, especially if I'm using scraps. There are no quilt police. Do whatever works best for you.

5. Thanks SallyO'Sews, dwil23, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

There is a very good reason not to cut all the pieces at once unless you only cut one block first and put it together. Sometimes you find a pattern that has a wrong dimension given. Easier and cheaper to only have messed up one block instead of the whole quilt.

7. Thanks Old Newbie, DeniseSm, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually start by making one sample block to see if I like it. I never cut out the whole quilt and then put it together. I use Pinterest alot and I have so many pinned on my boards but I revisit them in my spare time, taking a closer look at color combos, borders, etc. As far as following patterns I mostly pay close attention only to how many blocks needed in a row and how many rows to make, and then proceed making block by block. If something is strip pieced tho you wind up cutting pieces and making strip sets that you use in more than one block. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it and each quilt demands its own kind of organization so you don't get pieces mixed up.

9. Thanks SallyO'Sews, Old Newbie, dwil23 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's me! I never seem to follow a pattern or instructions exactly. I "wing it" a LOT....
    Donna

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I always cut just for one block first. I need instant gratification and I want to see if I will like the block or not. If I like it then I will usually cut for several blocks at a time. The only time I cut for an entire quilt is if I'm going to a retreat. I find it hard to concentrate on cutting with all the chatter that is going on around me. I get too distracted.

13. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I very much prefer written patterns. Just because it SAYS cut 350 of 'A' doesn't mean you have to cut them all at once. I start with enough to do a couple blocks, then cut more, and just keep track. Pencils work well for that. Videos just annoy me.
    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

15. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by auntstuff View Post
    Just because it SAYS cut 350 of 'A' doesn't mean you have to cut them all at once.
    Ha! This made me laugh and is true and good advice. Still, I guess I am an avoider, because just knowing the number can paralyze me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Funny this thread is today, I started cutting out a quilt and got annoyed due to I'm using fewer fabrics and math was driving me nuts. Now I see if I stop cutting in masses and start piecing I'd probably enjoy the quilt. I finally refound a basket quilt pattern in an old magazine. I've always wanted to make one.

18. Thanks Kgrammiecaz, Old Newbie, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post