Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: - Written patterns or not

I tend to agree with JCY here. While I like the PDF patterns, I basically watch the tutorials a couple of times and then when I want to cut or sew, watch them again. I finally put a PC in my sewing room so I don't have to watch the videos on my desktop in the living room.
    Everyone has different ways that are easier for them.....whatever works for you is the best thing to do!

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

2. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My first quilt from a pattern, I cut out everything. Then sewed it all together. Well, I got to the end and didn't have enough pieces, but kenw I cut what they said. Off to JoAnns to buy more fabric. Not until I got home and sat down to sew the new pieces, did I realize I was sewing on the line I drew across my HSTs instead of 1/4 inch on each side! I kept wondering why I was wasting so much by cutting off so much and tossing. I do like watching tutorials for an idea. I also do a good bit of winging it.

Going to take a class with Bonnie Hunter in a few months. We'll see how that scrappiness thing goes. A bit out of my comfort zone.

4. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm really the oddball on this one. I love cutting out all the pieces first and as they dwindle down, I feel a real since of accomp;lishment. I really like it when they spell it out .. so many A's, so many b's etc. What I don't like is when they tell me that and then they want me to cut some of them different later on in the instructions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another reason I don't do all the cutting at the same time is due to wear & tear on my wrist & hand, esp. since I've had the carpal tunnel release surgery.

7. Thanks ncgrammie, Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The one time I have cut out all my pattern pieces, the pattern was wrong in three places. Since this was for my grandson and he ask every time he saw me when was I going to finish it, I had to purchase more fabric. It was so wrong there was no getting around it. . I learned a lesson if its a printed pattern go search to see if there are any corrections before you cut. I also have arthritis in my right arm and hand so cutting out a couple of blocks works better for me.
    I do also like video's. I will watch them and then rewatch them and take notes so I have something to refer back to.
    Last edited by TMP; May 19th, 2019 at 01:23 AM.

9. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I generally cut enough to get started and build my blocks from those pieces. Then I have a "Oh crap" moment when I have to stop sewing and go cut some more, but how much cutting can a body really stand? Also, this system does keep me from sitting too long. A plus I guess. A lot of times I work without a pattern and off what I've seen on a video. Sometimes I keep the video up on my computer for replay when needed. I have worked off patterns too. It just all depends, but I never cut enough pieces for the whole quilt.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

11. Thanks Old Newbie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I am a little OCD, I like cutting everything out, counting it into litttle stacks and seeing everything ready to sew together. I have been lucky that I haven't encountered too many wrong patterns.
    I do like the videos and have finally gotten enough experience to look at some quilt pictures and figure out how to make them. I do also graph some things out so I can make them my size rather than what the pattern says.

13. Thanks Old Newbie, grammaterry thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Claire, we seem to be in the minority. Those little stacks are so reassuring to me I think because I always fear there won't be enough fabric.

15. Thanks Old Newbie, auntstuff, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I like cutting out all the pieces because then I can chain piece. I have learned to make a test block or 3 before I do all the cutting; though.

17. Thanks Old Newbie, auntstuff, shermur thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Reading through these posts, I'm thinking I might try to mix it up and not do all the cutting, then all of step 1 or 2, etc., in one go. Maybe I'd feel more motivated if I was producing finished blocks earlier in the process.

If a technique is new to me, like curved piecing, I've done a test block with scrap fabric first. Otherwise, I'm very methodical and read the pattern over a few times before selecting and pressing my yardage, cutting, sorting pieces, and so on. I love to get lost in an audiobook or podcast while I'm chain piecing or pressing a huge stack of blocks.

19. Thanks Old Newbie, auntstuff thanked for this post