Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fudge it

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fudge it

I have been watching quilt shows for years.....watched them all....Shar, Eleanor Burns, Fons and Porter, Kate Wood, Georgia Bonsteel, Nancy Zieman....and all the new ladies....Donna Jordan, Mary Fons, and the Jennys....shabby fabrics and MSQC. They have taught us all the proper ways to quilt. However, there are always times when we have to "fudge it". I am an experience sewer, but sewing a quilt is a bit different. Sometimes we still can make mistakes and not realize it. How does one fix it? Do you need to fix it? Maybe a short segment at the end of a tutorial to show mistakes and what to do with them.

Measure twice, cut once.
    Gail

2. Thanks giig21, SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fudge it

When you make a misteak, just go with it, it becomes a design choice if repeated.
    I also have a rule on matching seams, three times ripping something out is enough, leave it if the third time isn't the charm.
    Don't beat yourself up......there are more but I can't think of any right now.

4. Thanks DeniseSm, gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If it isn't going into a show, let it be. Most times we are the only ones that notice it....unless, of course, the blocks don't fit at all. LOL
    No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
    Aesop

6. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and I am finding that many of my sewing imperfections will not be noticeable when the quilt is finished. Many new quilters think it has to be perfect. They become discouraged when they feel its not right. Your quilt does not have to be perfect to look good......and the emphasis is on creating the top and rarely do you see any of them preparing the quilt for quilting and binding. I have been keeping a notebook of the mistakes I have made in the finishing of quilts.....and I can tell you start in the middle and work out. If you need to fudge anything, it is easier to fudge the edge before you add the border. There are probably many new quilters that could use this kind of information.

8. Thanks dwil23, auntstuff thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Claire on matching seams...after the 3rd try "it is what it is". I fudge if needed. I recently assembled a quilt top made by guild members. The blocks were sewn on 8 different sewing machines with varying 1/4" seam allowances and the edges of the blocks are bias. I squared them up as best I could to try to not lose points. The bias edges helped sometimes with fudging if needed to match up seams but they could be tricky too. There are a couple of tiny hills where 4 blocks come together, but I have my fingers crossed hoping they will quilt out.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

10. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario, gmpintos thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Wow....that is advanced fudging. I am sure it will be beautiful.

12. Thanks MRoy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Part of the quilting journey are lessons in our mistakes. It gets easier to live with them or fix them and go on!

14. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My personal rule is one rip, if that doesn't do it, I move on!!! Works for me!!!

16. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I recently made a mini quilt from HSTs. I really like all my seams to match. I pieced this one in 2 sections (halves). When I went to sew the 2 sections together, I could not get the seams to line up to my satisfaction. I ripped out twice. In the end, I made a "design choice" & put a strip of sashing in between the 2 sections. Looks great now & I am satisfied. In the long run, most people don't look for imperfections. We are our own worst critics. Sometimes you just have to let things go. Usually they don't show once it's quilted. Like Jenny says, "Finished is better than perfect."

18. Thanks gmpintos, Kgrammiecaz thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I can relate. Recently I was complaining to an older friend that the 10 blocks I just made were a little off when squaring up. She's been quilting for over 35 years and didn't know what squaring up is. She just makes her blocks and before putting them together takes the edge of her ruler and whacks off the parts that look a little off, no measuring, as long is there is a straightish edge. And her quilts are beautiful.