Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fudge it

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fudge it

It’s fabric - the same “give “ that sometimes gives us headaches can work for us as well. I never figured out why seamstresses know about “ease” but quilters never heard of it. There are exceptions ( my seam ripper and I are well acquainted) but by and large I can make things work.
    If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

2. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I make things work...I am familiar with fudging. I am not a quilt show quilter, nor an heirloom quilter. I don't want awards, I just want my giftees to use the quilts I make and give them. I want my quilts to be loved, used, washed, abused. I do make quilts as gifts to family or donations, but I am not a perfectionist. Not to say I don't want my quilts to be "right" or pretty, but I am not worried if seams don't match up (I really do try to make the seams work, but sometimes they don't) or if I lose some points. I machine quilt almost all of my quilts, wash them, and they look great to me. In my opinion, if I love the way they look, and they are what I would want to receive , they are good to go and I love to give them.
    A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

4. Thanks gmpintos, Claire Hallman, Debbie Watters, sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh how I dream of the perfect quilt but that's as far as I go...dreaming. My quilts are better than they used to be. My corners usually match and my quilts are much squarer, but there is always something that surely could be better. I love that song that the quilt singer sings," I can quilt that out". I just laugh when I'mquilting and see a lump come up and sing that little ditty to myself.
    I really feel sorry for people that must make it perfect. It must take out the fun of the hobby.

6. Thanks gmpintos, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    When you make a misteak, just go with it, it becomes a design choice if repeated.
    I also have a rule on matching seams, three times ripping something out is enough, leave it if the third time isn't the charm.
    Don't beat yourself up......there are more but I can't think of any right now.
    Totally agree with this one. If it doesn't match after three tries, it is never going to match. Be at peace with it.

8. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

There is a saying I learned from my fiance, "Beat it to fit. Paint it to match." That works for me a lot because I am more impatient than perfectionist. I will rip the seam out once and occasionally replace the piece that is being difficult. After that I am content to just fudge it and move on. That leaves me more time to have fun quilting.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

10. Thanks gmpintos, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In the words of the wonderful Jenny Doan...."Finished is better than perfect."

12. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

When I was first teaching myself quilting, watching videos and reading books, I started off small (like one 9 patch small), making myself rip out seams, sandwich, then quilt, then bind. Practice practice. I learned what works best for me (pin every single bleeping seam) and I’ve gotten better. I don’t have to pin as much anymore, and I’m not so hard on myself, either. No one cares except me.

Although I admit that if I’m sewing a row together and seams don’t match more than half the time, I’ll rip it out. I just look at it as practice. I’m not going for heirloom quality quilting here, but I’m still picky. I blame all those dadburned spreadsheets I had to work on. How can I be off by one dollar? Yeh, no, retired.

14. Thanks gmpintos thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you ladies, I can feel much more comfortable with fudging and blessed that I know how.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a new quilter, I didn't even know that point ought not extend into the seam allowance and the corners of squares ought to touch each other. My quilts have improved to the point that my husband has even noticed. And I did fuss recently over a Jinny Beyer mitered border. But my attitude is, I do what I can do, I fix what I can fix (that Jinny Beyer top, pieced by a group of volunteers, definitely had to be fixed!), and then I live with it.

Now I know to say, "I like fudge!"
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

17. Thanks gmpintos, cv quilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I am a bit OCD on seams matching and will keep working at it until it is at least "better". I usually find if seams are matching and then suddenly don't, there is often a seam before the mismatch that isn't "right" - often the bottom fabric has slipped and the seam allowance is off. Usually going back a block and finding/fixing that will help with your next seams. The girls I sew with think I am crazy but I kind of enjoy the challenge to make it work. I do know I need to be a little less picky as it does take up valuable sewing time.
    Donna

19. Thanks The_Last_Unicorn, gmpintos thanked for this post