Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: State Blocks

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Smile State Blocks

Some while ago I met a family from Ohio, got chatting and when they returned to America we swapped interesting books. Hers were of an Ohio Quilt and mine was about Durham Quilting with the lovely Amy Emms M.B.E, now sadly deceased. Amazing quilter of mainly whole cloth quilts.

It made me wonder whether there was a patchwork block specific to each American state and, if so, what are they? I know that various blocks can have several names. Am aware of Hawaiian designs.

Here in England there are Welsh Quilts with designs, both pieced and quilted, specific to Wales - very Amish in many respects - but cannot find any other specific patchwork designs although you'll find quilting designs used more in one area than another.

I'd be most appreciative of any responses. Thank you.
    Last edited by NancyR; May 12th, 2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Life isn't measured by the breaths that you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: State Blocks

Hi from GB - is this what you were thinking of ...

https://www.fabric.com/creativity-he...-tutorial.aspx

or this .....

https://www.fairfieldworld.com/50-st...lock-patterns/

Good luck with your search

3. Thanks DeniseSm thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Hi :-). It was the second link that interested. Thank you so much. Also a link within that link, which has now been bookmarked.

We're visiting Scotland next month - the east coast this time. My mother was from Ayrshire and I get twitchy if we don't visit Scotland at least once every two years although we usually go to the west coast. Looking forward to it.

Thank you again for taking the time.

Nancy
    Life isn't measured by the breaths that you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I wrote a "thank you" post which seems to have disappeared. No matter. It was the second link that interested so thank you for that. Also a link within that link which has now been bookmarked. Now, of course, it would be interesting to know why each block was chosen and it's meaning to each State :-).

My mother was a Scot from Ayrshire and all my maternal family are from the west coast and Hebrides islands although I had an uncle and cousins in Aberdeen. Get twitchy if I don't get to breathe Scottish air at least once every couple of years. Fortunately, my husband also loves the country so we're visiting next month, this time the east coast. Looking forward to it.

Thank you again.

Nancy

For some unknown reason it's reappeared.

6. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post