Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Pressing Question

What is your preference? The Ironing Board, Wool Pressing Mat or Steady Betty?
    I've been using my ironing board but there is a lot of quilters talking about the Wool Pressing Mats.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pressing Question

I use nothing by my ironing board, which is set up all the time in my sewing room.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 24x24 piece of plywood covered with one layer of insul-bright and the grey teflon fabric (not quilted). It is easy to change out the cover as needed. This shares space on the cutting table.

I have considered the wool mat but haven't purchased yet.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an ironing board. I also have a piece of plywood covered in gray iron pad cover fabric which can sit on the board when I press backings and yardage. I have a portable ironing mat. I haven't felt the urge to buy the wool mat.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have and use both. I lucked out and found a tip here to buy a wool saddle pad liner from an online tack store. Love the results pressing on a wool mat, but the ones marketed to quilters are hideously overpriced in my opinion.

6. Thanks giig21, 201 Treadler, Claire Hallman, Ltoppins, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I am starching or ironing yardage, I get out the ironing board. While making blocks, I finger press and love my pressing mat.
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a wool pressing mat I got on sale at quilt in a day. I make lots of very small blocks (currently making 9 patches that finish at 1-1/2 inches) and the wool mat helps me get them nice and flat. It seems to press out both sides at once so pressing goes a little quicker. I would not pay full price for one.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea to use the saddle pad liner!

10. Thanks giig21, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I have a wool pressing mat, and I've also used a new fluffy bath towel folded in half.

I took several blocks, pressed half on the wool and the other half on the towel, and I can't tell the difference.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Hello. Like others I have a 24" square of MDF covered in two layers of batting and one of grey Teflon ironing cloth. This stands on my cutting station under the cutting mat which can be removed.

Used to use my ironing board but because I'm sewing in a multi-function room (part guest bedroom) there's no room for the ironing board so I had to keep going across the house to the kitchen. We live in a small cottage. The "cutting station" is really the top of a tall boy (chest of drawers). It works but would love a small room of my own. Not going to happen so it is what it is and doesn't stop me making quilts . Which is the main thing.
    Life isn't measured by the breaths that you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

13. Thanks Claire Hallman thanked for this post