Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Strip Search

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strip Search

I am doing the above pattern and they encourage you to use the stripology ruler however they also suggest you can use 2 1/2 strips-which is what I chose to do. So you are suppose to sew 5 strips together lengthwise. These 5 strips are suppose to measure 10 1/2 wide- guess what-they don't. Then you are suppose to cut them in 10 1/2 length so you end up with a 10 1/2" square.
    You then take 6 additional strips, sew them together and it is suppose to measure 12 1/2, cut them in 12 1/2 lenghts so you end up with 12 1/2 block-guess what they don't measure 12 1/2.
    The 5 strips measure about 11 1/4-11 1/2 and the 12 1/2 measure 13 1/4 to 13 1/2-
    So my question would be-do you think I should square these up so they measure 10 1/2 sq and 12 1/2 square or leave them since they both are about the same amount over the recommended size.

Thank you all so very much.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Strip Search

Wow, your strips must have been a little over 2 1/2" or you are using a very skinny seam allowance. Sorry I am not familiar with that pattern so can't say if it would or wouldn't work if you squared it to the pattern sizes. How will the intersections line up in the centers of the blocks, or do they meet anywhere besides the block corners?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have found some "2-1/2" strips actually measure closer to 2 - 5/8" or even 2-3/4". Could that be the problem? If they do, I would go back and make the seam allowance a bit over 1/4" and try to get the strip sets to measure the right size. I'm not sure about the answer to your question..sorry.
    Donna

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I am not familiar with the pattern, so I don't know if the design would be impacted by your blocks being too large. Your quilt top would certainly be larger than the pattern says. If you squared them up to the size the pattern calls for, though, you would end up with a skinny strip on the edge (or on two sides, depending on how you square them up). I think this would definitely affect the design, and I would not recommend it.

As painful as it is to re-do the seams, I think Donna's advice will give you the best result.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I googled the pattern. It looks like there are no seams to match, so I think you would be OK with working with the blocks in the size they are. Before you commit to this, though, I recommend reading through the rest of the pattern thoroughly. For example, are those blocks sub-cut using a certain measurement? How would that affect the block if your blocks are larger?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you one and all for your input. A few errors were made probably my me. Some of the 2.5 strips measure 2 5/8 or 2 3/4-so that did not help-then I discovered unknown to me my skat 1/4" foot was on the machine and I did not realize it. So I have decided to trim them all down to 10 1/2 and 12 1/2. So far the 12 1/2 appear to be OK as I do not have to take that much off each side. As previously said there are no seams to match up so I shall see what happens with the pattern once I subcut them and put them together-if it does not work-then I'll figure out something else to do with them.-Oh well a couple of lessons learned.

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry Claudia. The quilt will be wonderful and sometimes the mistakes create an unexpected treasure. Enjoy the process, consider it just another lesson in thelife of a quilter and move on. Your quilt will be a treasure, no matter what.

9. Thanks MSN, Old Newbie, Claire Hallman thanked for this post