Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sew Steady grid FMQ mat

I bought this for my FMQ about a month ago. Had been using an oven liner, which works fine but I wanted a little more slippery surface. This works great and has a hole cut out for the needle so I can FMQ or switch to regular sewing without removing the mat. I like it except that it stinks to high heaven! I mean, it has a very very strong plastic-chemical odor that I can smell across the room. Any ideas how to remove the odor?

https://www.amazon.com/Steady-Motion...r=1-1-fkmrnull

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sew Steady grid FMQ mat

Two best ideas I can come up with are put an open box of baking soda next to the mat or if you have a HEPA air purifier put the air purifier as close to the mat as you can. Our HEPA air purifier cleared up so pretty noxious orders in three days as opposed to waiting three weeks for the orders to dissipate naturally.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

3. Thanks Sharyn J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had an Olfa mat that smelled like garlic when it was new. Kept thinking there was food cooking every time I went into the room. It finally stopped stinking after living in its space for a while. Now I use Martelli mats, no stink in them,

5. Thanks Sharyn J thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe put it in your car with the windows rolled up and a half onion on it . The onion will absorb the odors. Won't take more than a day of hot sun to fix it.