Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BINDING

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default BINDING

Jus happen to be looking at some tutorials and notices that it seems the binding is the same fabric as the border often.

Can I get some opinions on this. I am working on a blue and grey quilt with a small black border. Not sure what to,use for binding. Same fabric as part of the quilt, same fabric as backing which is flannel, or same fabric as borders.

Thanks in advance

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: BINDING

I don't have a one way is the right way attitude, especially when choosing binding fabric.

But I will say this, if you border is narrow then you may want to use the same fabric for bonding, otherwise your border may appear just that much narrower.

One of the things I do like to do is auditiony options by cutting a short narrow strip of potential binding fabrics, and pin to the edges of the quilt, then step back and decide what I like best. Sometimes my choice turns out to be the one I initially thought was going to be the least likely choice.

3. Thanks sewbizzy, DeniseSm thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't really matter if it is the same as the border fabric. (Most of my quilts don't even have borders) Once you sew it on less than half inch shows anyway so just pick something you like or you feels goes with the quilt top. For instance you might love the color orange, but if your quilt is red, white and blue then an orange binding would look terrible. Also I read somewhere that flannel is a bad choice for binding and that it doesn't hold up well over the long haul even tho it is fine for the front or the back. Maybe someone else could tell you why not to use it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I once heard that, especially for a wall quilt, the color of the binding is what determines the color that the quilt "reads." Auditioning fabrics like Caroline suggested is a great idea. Lately, I've been intrigued by putting a narrow piping next to the binding to add a pop of color.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Binding with the flannel would be more difficult than with the regular cotton. There are no set rules...use what you think looks best. A contrasting binding can add a lot to a quilt. Here's an example...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flutterbye.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	158953

7. Thanks pcbatiks, sewbizzy, chelea thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No rules, but your choice. Try out different colours. I often use the same colour as the border, other times I use the same colour as the backing and sometimes just another colour entirely.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

9. Thanks sewbizzy thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the ideas, I will decide once the top is finished

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I often use the same for backing as for binding, for a few reasons:

1. I have to over-buy backing fabric, so as long as I don't make a mistake I know I will have enough left to go all the way around
    2. I often buy wide backing fabric, so using it for the binding means less seams (only 3 or 4 on even a very large quilt)
    3. I sew my binding to the back, pull it to the front, then sew it down on the front 1/16th from its edge. It looks great on the front and it's very secure, but I don't get super fussy with how that front line of topstitching aligns with the ditch on the back - so by using the same fabric on back and for binding AND using a matching thread, the back doesn't look like I've wandered towards and away from the binding ditch and it hides itself.

12. Thanks sewbizzy, chelea, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post

1. I have to over-buy backing fabric, so as long as I don't make a mistake I know I will have enough left to go all the way around
    2. I often buy wide backing fabric, so using it for the binding means less seams (only 3 or 4 on even a very large quilt)
    3. I sew my binding to the back, pull it to the front, then sew it down on the front 1/16th from its edge. It looks great on the front and it's very secure, but I don't get super fussy with how that front line of topstitching aligns with the ditch on the back - so by using the same fabric on back and for binding AND using a matching thread, the back doesn't look like I've wandered towards and away from the binding ditch and it hides itself.
    Smart of you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post

Yes, yes, yes! Totally agree with your techniques and the reasons why you do as you do!