Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Like the Q-Zone, can you quilt something larger than your fram?

First, some background:
    With all the sales push for Grace Company's copmact Q-Zone frame, I seriously considered buying it. I currently quilt in a room that is as long as a four-car garage, but we're probably moving to Southern California soon for family reasons. Basically, that means going from 3200 square feet on half an acre to 1500 square feet where you can shake hands with your neighbor by leaning out a window. Eventually I decided not to buy the Q-Zone just because I might not have room in a house I don't even own yet. I can make that decision later.

But the Q-Zone is an interesting concept. You move your quilt from side to side on a four-and-a-half foot frame. Only when you've finished quilting from left to right do you roll the quilt to the next section. It's a great idea for those of us who find sit-down FMQ to be intimidating.

I'm seeking your opinions on whether that concept can work with larger frames. In particular, I have a Little Gracie which will just barely quilt a Queen. There's no way a King-size quilt would fit on the Little Gracie. But what if I kind of "reversed" the Q-Zone concept? I'm imagining folding over the last two feet of the quilt before attaching it to the leader cloths. I'd then quilt the left side of the quilt as far as the fold. Roll, roll, roll, I finish the whole left side of the quilt.

Next step, I'd detach the partially quilted sandwich from the leader cloths, fold over the left side, reattach to the leader cloths, and start quilting the right-hand four feet of the quilt.

Am I missing something, or would this process make it possible to quilt a King-size quilt?
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Like the Q-Zone, can you quilt something larger than your fram?

Shifting a Quilt from Side to Side on the Q-Zone Hoop Frame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQfmftQnNII

hope this will help

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How about just quilting in sections then join the sections?

Marti Michel has a book called quilting in sections and shows several ways to quilt and to join the sections together.

I have a 10 foot frame and that's the largest I have room for. The largest I have quilted is 100". Then I just have enough room at the end to load the bobbin and oil the machine.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I know BabyLock had a small frame where you moved your quilt around and clamped it to the frame with large/long clamps. I saw it demoed at a workshop. I think your concept would work as long as the doubled over part doesn't interfere with rolling the quilt to complete quilting entire length. I have to have a way to get the sandwich under the needle and I go off and on at the sides, especially to change the bobbin. So it cannot be doubled over on both edges. Someone I know had one of those BabyLock frames and had to crawl on the floor to change the bobbin. Yuck! She traded up quickly for a longer frame! Good luck with working with the concept!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a lot of issues and time with moving the quilt, but it does solve a space problem. Right now I don't have a long frame, but am planning on extending it which will be easy and cost me only about $40. Have several tops that need to be out of the UFO zone.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I recently purchased the hoop frame from grace because of the limited space for traditional frame. For the price and functionality of the frame I am pleased . Yes, you do need to move the around and re clamp however once I got use to it this step goes quickly . I finished a twin size quilt edge to edge in 3 hours. I have a mid arm about 15 inches of harp space. I expect if you are using a home machine I expect this may take longer depending on Harp space. Hope this helps in my opinion a great option if you don't have the space. And you don't have to crawl under the frame to change the bobbin actually the frame can be set up for sitting or standing .

7. Thanks sewbizzy, ncgrammie, Claire Hallman thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

May I ask what type of Mid-arm you have?
    Thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NYoung209 View Post
    May I ask what type of Mid-arm you have?
    Thank you.
    Hello NYoung. Welcome to the forum!

I think you're asking GianasNana what kind of mid arm she has. But she has only posted twice since joining the forum in 2014. I fear that you will not get an answer back.

A good idea is to start a new thread under Quilting Questions and ask people to tell you about their mid arms. We all love sharing about our quilting tools!

Again, welcome!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I have grace q'nique 15 mid arm. purchased the package when frame and machine + extras were a special. So Far very pleased

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you!