Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Productive Saturday

so pretty!! such a sweet lady!!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the sweet comments! Yes I did use batting and the quilts are a bit heavy. And I quilt on a longarm, loading the Minky with the selvedges pinned to the leaders and not pulling the backing tight. It quilts up great, and the machine is fine with the bulk.not sure what advice to give on quilting with Minky on a domestic machine. It is stretchy, but not overly stretchy, so it should work out fine with regular methods.

And your quilting pattern shows up great on the Minky, but not the thread color! I used mauve thread on the brown one, you can't even see the thread buried in the pile of the Minky. I know there are thicker plush fabrics, this stuff isn't that thick.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 5th, 2019 at 09:21 PM.

3. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaBabs View Post
    So good to hear from you Jean! Of course in true GB style i LOVE the scrappy one!!!! I've yet to try minky for backing... must commit to that... mostly because "using up my stuff" is in the front of my mind... Just cannot imagine WHAT will happen with it all after i go
    Believe it or not, the scrappy quilt was actually made from a layer cake I found at Missouri Star. I visited my son's family in Iowa and drive by Hamilton. I resisted going in on my way up, but succumbed on my way home and found this collection in their vintage shop. It is very scrappy looking with some yarn dyed plaids in with the calicoes.

5. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    Jean, that's a beautiful quilt and a fabulous reason to make it. You've found a way to memorialize the great experience of a theatrical production with a most meaningful momento. Really nicely done!

I'm as curious as Carol: Do you use batting when you back a quilt with Minky?
    All of my peeps loved their quilts! I was a little worried that one of the guys might not be a "quilt" guy! But he gushed on and on about how it will be going in his man cave dedicated to his love of the St. Louis Cardinals!

7. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh you have been productive!! They're lovely.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is one quick turnaround! Very nice quilts and I'm sure the recipients will love them.
    I am Sew Blessed!
    Alina

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful quilts, Jean! Brave Girl tackling Minky...!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow you work fast!! That turned out great! I have a question, can you take a picture of the back? It looks like you used a regular cotton for the binding and I didn't know you could bind a minky quilt like that. Did you have to cut a wider binding to allow for the thickness of the minky or did you go with a normal 2.5 inch?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Wow you work fast!! That turned out great! I have a question, can you take a picture of the back? It looks like you used a regular cotton for the binding and I didn't know you could bind a minky quilt like that. Did you have to cut a wider binding to allow for the thickness of the minky or did you go with a normal 2.5 inch?
    That quilt has already gone to the new owner. But here is one of mine that was done the same way. I use a regular 2-1/2" strip for the binding. The Minky really isn't that much heavier or thicker and the 2-1/2" binding double folded ( I know that type of binding has a name, I just don't know what the correct name is!) works just fine. I always use cotton for my bindings.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	158939

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
    Beautiful quilts, Jean! Brave Girl tackling Minky...!!
    Not scary at all once you've done one or two! Works like a dream on the longarm!