Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: do you think

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default do you think

I made a sampler with white background. Somehow one block with white in it was scorched with my iron. It has been quilted and am ready to put the binding on. So do you think if I take a q-tip or tiny paint brush and put come clorax on it and dab the scorched area every so slightly before washing it that it will cover it up and not hurt the backing which is navy blue.
    Can't believe that happened!!
    Thank you

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: do you think

I wouldn't try the bleach on the quilt yet... Try it on a piece o scrap first. I once splashed bleach on some fabric & it ate a hole through it when I rinsed it off. Bleach can be very caustic., just saying
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use bleach either. I found this online. https://www.thespruce.com/how-to-rem...-marks-2146664 Maybe it will help.

4. Thanks SuzanneOrleansOntario thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think Pat (quiltfreestyle) is right. Bleach WILL eat a hole in your fabric and I am pretty sure it wold seep into and discolor the back.can you show us a picture? Maybe it isn't as noticeable as you think. If you leave it you will just have a little story to tell. You might be better off touching it up with just fabric paint on the top, put on very thin layer. Good luck.
    Last edited by jjkaiser; May 4th, 2019 at 04:53 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry this happened....heartache for sure. Research removing scorching on YouTube...there's sure to be a method.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How big is the area? Could you somehow incorporate an applique for the piece?
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Scorching the fabric permanently changes the color of the fabric. No amount of bleach will change this and I agree with those who say that you risk damaging the backing. We all make mistakes. Learn and move on or better yet, gift the quilt to someone who will appreciate the work and then you won't have to see it to be reminded. I guarantee it bothers you the most but there are probably many who will never even notice.
    Gaye

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

When I gift a quilt that has an "error" or "woopsie" in it I tell the recipient that if they can find it and tell me what the "problem" is I will give them a box of chocolates....it has made for some fun times for the recipients eager to get their free chocolates but I have to date never had to give anyone a box of chocolates!

10. Thanks sydneybean thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all you comments. I decided not to do anything. I had it quilted, binding put on, lightly washed and dried and I cannot find it. So we will leave it at that.

12. Thanks birdscraps, Claire Hallman, Monique thanked for this post